Saturday, November 13, 2010

VINCE CLARKE/PAUL QUINN - ONE DAY

I think this little single was recorded after Clarke left both Depeche Mode and Yazoo. It was probably around the time he was working on The Assembly project; which he envisioned would feature a different singer on each track. I don't know much about Paul Quinn and truthfully, I haven't done any research on the guy. I felt his vocals were barely adequate. There's nothing about his voice or style that really reaches out and grabs me. Still, I'm guessing it's another one of those collaborations.

'One Day' is a decent song. It sounds a lot like Clarke's earlier material. It's got catchy melody, great rhythm for a mid-tempo ballad and interesting lyrics. Once more, Vince shows he's mastered the skill of writing pop hits. With 'Song For' I'm a little less supportive. The song's ok, but it's not nearly as interesting or diverting as 'One Day'. The lyric drags on about some girl being gone and he goes on and on about her red lips, blah blah... Really unimaginative cliche lyrics there. Quite annoying and sadly, drags the song into obscurity. Seriously, if there was a bigger project in the making with these two, I'm glad nothing became of it. Clarke does much better with highly talented vocalists. My final words: SKIP IT UNLESS YOUR COMPLETING A COLLECTION.


VINCE CLARKE/PAUL QUINN - ONE DAY
01. One Day
02. Song For
03. One Day (Extension)
04. Song For (Extension)

No comments:

Post a Comment