Monday, November 15, 2010

ME'SHELL NDEGEOCELLO - PEACE BEYOND PASSION

This will be a totally unfair review because I absolutely love this CD. I picked it up originally because Wendy Melvoin of Wendy & Lisa worked on the disc and I had to have it in my collection. This was my first exposure to Me'Shell and let me tell you, I became an addict. She's phenomenal. From the opening instrumental, 'The Womb', she sets a beat and style that plays throughout the entire disc. It's so different from her debut disc it's scary. She goes on to change her sound virtually every time she releases an album. 'The Way' is an amazing song about racism from a religious standpoint. She wonders how to find appreciation for herself and confidence when the image of God she's constantly subjected to is a white man under who's name her forefathers were enslaved. It's quit astounding. The music is laid back and funky while being completely in tune with the message at the same time. And it just gets better from there, boys and girls. On 'Deuteronomy: Niggerman', she tackles modern day fidelity by proclaiming that all she's ever wanted was a man who could be true. This tune is more in line with her debut record and would have fit in nicely there. Still, it holds up on this release as well.

'Ecclesiastes: Free My Heart' is another beautiful number that's extremely melodic and intense lyrically. The standout number is the next in line. 'Leviticus: Faggot' is a song about being gay and the tragedy many gay kids face by their strict religious surroundings. She tells the story of a boy who embraces a lifestyle he felt was his only option because his fanatic parents kicked him out when they find out he's gay. She broaches the subject and then continues it with 'Mary Magdalene', another beautiful tune in which she expresses her love and commitment to another woman. She imagines them getting married by jumping the broom. An incredible song. 'God Shiva' is a song written with Wendy and is the one tune that while staying religious, opens the listener up to alternate beliefs outside of Christianity. She follows it up with 'Who Is He And What Is He To You' a Bill Withers cover. As a female vocalist singing the song, the tune takes on a very bisexual flavor. She's asking her girlfriend about a guy she's seeing her with. 'Stay', 'Bittersweet' and 'A Tear And A Smile' are all wonderful tunes and even though Wendy only plays guitar on 'Bittersweet', all three songs have a Wendy & Lisa feel to them. The final track, 'Make Me Wanna Holler' is based on Marvin Gaye's 'Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler)'. She's speaks a lyric over the music telling a story of a troubled youth.

I could really go on and on about this disc in even more detail but I'm kinda pressed for time today and I need to get moving, so I won't babble. But I will say this in closing... If I was stranded on a desert island and I had this cd I'd be a very happy soul. That is if I had a solar cd player. Hehehehe. It incorporates so many elements of music I find intoxicating. I love the juxtaposition of religion with sexual orientation... This album is so important on so many levels. I wish more people would have picked up this disc and embraced Ndegeocello's call to understanding and compassion. She is a true poet and prophet.

My final words: ESSENTIAL LISTENING!


ME'SHELL NDEGEOCELLO - PEACE BEYOND PASSION
01. The Womb
02. The Way
03. Deuteronomy: Niggerman
04. Ecclesiastes: Free My Heart
05. Leviticus: Faggot
06. Mary Magdalene
07. God Shiva
08.
Who Is He And What Is He To You

09. Stay
10. Bittersweet
11. A Tear And A Smile
12. Make Me Wanna Holler

No comments:

Post a Comment