Tuesday, November 23, 2010

DEPECHE MODE - ONLY WHEN I LOSE MYSELF

This third disc in the UK single collection of 'Only When I Lose Myself' contains the most satisfying mixes of the three discs. From the start, Gus Gus gives us the title track the only way it should be played. There's a funky deep beat that flows across the song like syrup spreading over pancakes. It sweetens the already fluid track and gives it amazing depth. Both his mixes incorporate this rhythm to a highly successful conclusion. Right On! Finally, some excellent sounds mixed in to make awesome noise. 'Painkiller' is a hidden track from the album "Ultra" and was also the b-side of 'Barrel Of A Gun'. Very few of those mixes impressed me and this one isn't an exception. It moves along at a rather awkward pace. There's a girl who comes over the music and talks about her stereo being her ultimate high. Completely lame, but I guess DJ Shadow did something the band liked because they paid for this mix. I wouldn't have bothered.

'Surrender (Catalan FC Out Of Reach Mix)' is probably my favorite cut of this entire collection. The song is given a house beat with some new synth lines and Dave's vocals are punctuated with drums. It accentuates the song to such a wonderful degree, it's like hearing a brand new track completely separate from the original. Even Martin's guitar bits are used to great effect here. This is an example of what can happen when someone talented gets behind the wheel of an already classic automobile. The final track is 'World In My Eyes (Safar Mix)'. I'm not sure if this mix was recorded before or after the Devotional Tour, but it borrows heavily from the live arrangement during that tour. It even incorporates crowd noises though whether or not they're from a live performance of the track remain a mystery to me. Regardless, it's a wonderful mix and I enjoy it greatly.

This is such a wonderful way to end the collection and I'm very happy with the content, artwork and overall production value of these discs. My final words: GOING OUT ON A HIGH NOTE!


DEPECHE MODE - ONLY WHEN I LOSE MYSELF
01. Only When I Lose Myself (Gus Gus Long Play Mix)
02. Painkiller (Kill The Pain Mix - DJ Shadow Vs Depeche Mode)
03. Surrender (Catalan FC Out Of Reach Mix)
04.
Only When I Lose Myself (Gus Gus Short Play Mix)

05. World In My Eyes (Safar Mix)

No comments:

Post a Comment