Friday, November 12, 2010

BIG AUDIO DYNAMITE - THIS IS BIG AUDIO DYNAMITE

Back in the 80's, Dixie College had a radio station with a very low signal. I could sometimes pick it up in Santa Clara where I lived, but only at night. It was weird. Anyway, the students who DJ'd there played the music they liked and wanted to hear. Sometimes you got one that played cool music and that's how I discovered Big Audio Dynamite. A kid played 'E=MC2' one night. I remember we were sleeping on the deck and I had a radio plugged in listening and when I heard it, I loved the tune. I immediately bought the tape.

Now my initial reaction was one of disappointment. I sorta like 'Medicine Show' but nothing else really spoke to me. I thought I'd wasted money buying a record I didn't really like. Of course upon further listening I eventually found a greater interest and appreciation for what was happening. Big Audio Dynamite is the brainchild of former Clash member, Mick Jones. He created the band upon his departure from the General Public project. The band combines pop, rock, reggae, new wave and funk into an odd blend of energetic music.

The first track, 'Medicine Show' is an interesting number with music that would fit right in with a classic western. They even sample some lines from old western films. It's an interesting approach to the music when you consider the subject of the song. It's about a traveling medicine man selling his miracle tonic scam. That alone makes it fascinating. The mellow beat and straight forward vocal arrangement compliments Mick's vocals quite well. He's not a singer with great range, but he's competent when he stays within his limitations. 'Sony' is easily my least favorite track on the record. Not because of the music; which I actually like, but because the song is random with a Japanese theme and Mick sounds like a whining teenager. 'E=MC2' is absolutely brilliant. As random as the lyrics on this disc are, this particular song is interesting because each line influences the next. 'The Bottom Line' is a great song as far as inspiring you not to give up.
"When you reach the bottom line,
the only thing to do is climb
pick yourself up off the floor
don't know what you're waiting for."
The song ends with Mick singing the line, "I'm gonna take you to part two".

And so it is on cassette now's when you flip the thing over and play the next side. The first song on the second side, 'A Party', is a reggae influenced number with more random lyrics. By the time 'Sudden Impact!' comes on, you start to see formulaic pattern to the way Mick writes lyrics. With no variation in line length and meter, this side is rather uneventful. The same pattern continues on 'Stone Thames' a song about Aids and the decline of promiscuous sexual behavior. The real highlight of side two is the final number, 'Bad'. This track was also featured in the "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" film. 'Bad' actually switches up the verse structure enough to make it different from the other tracks. Musically, it's not as interesting as 'Stone Thames' or 'Sudden Impact!', but the vocal delivery and different sound make it a treat.

I guess I'm mixed when it comes to this record. I really love certain songs and other songs I'm somewhat torn. I love the music, hate the vocals or the lyrics, or vice versa. I haven't purchased anything else from Big Audio Dynamite even though I've seen other releases. I guess this one was enough to fill my ears. I still consider it a classic and every time I think about making an 80's compilation CD, this is always a disc I rip a song from. My final words: MOMENTS OF EXCELLENCE, OVERALL IFFY.


BIG AUDIO DYNAMITE - THIS IS BIG AUDIO DYNAMITE
01. Medicine Show
02. Sony
03. E=MC2
04. The Bottom Line
05. A Party
06. Sudden Impact!
07. Stone Thames
08. Bad

No comments:

Post a Comment