Thursday, November 11, 2010

MANNHEIM STEAMROLLER - CHRISTMAS

Mannheim Steamroller is a pseudonym of composer Chip Davis who created the group to promote his Fresh Aire records. This particular album is the first holiday release by the group and became so popular it's spawned about a dozen releases since. The approach is rather simple. Davis combines modern synthesizers and electronic instruments with old traditional instruments used in the middle ages to create a fusion of old world carols and hymns with new world technology. It's a fascinating and brilliant combination. Of course this original recording, made all the way back in 1984 sounds somewhat dated today; still it holds up rather well. Especially the more traditional carols played predominately on older instruments.

The first time I heard this record was in a Radio Shack all the way back in the 80's. Of course it was around Christma
s time and I think I was out shopping for gifts. Anyway, I heard it and thought it was incredible. I didn't buy it until a few years later when I found it in a clearance sale sometime in March or something like that. I picked it up for $5. and I've enjoyed it ever since.

My absolute favorite track off the record is 'Stille Nacht'; which is German for 'Silent Night'. The song gives me a sad feeling. However, since the holidays are simultaneously my absolute favorite time of year and when I suffer my deepest depression, it fits my mood exactly. As the song ends, there's the sound of sleigh bells jingling to harold the arrival of Santa Claus. I find this touch rather hopeful and sweet. There's something to look forward to after one's endured a difficult period.

I'm also taken by the period pieces. The carols are taken from the 15th to the 18th century and cover a number of western European cultures such as Wales, France, England and Austria. Listening to the spry flutes and harpsichord arrangement of 'God Res
t Ye Merry, Gentlemen' always catches my attention. It's followed by a more progressive modern rendition. Both are excellent and it's easy to see why Mannheim Steamroller is the most popular and most requested Christmas music band in the USA.


If you find yourself in the mood for some stimulating and moody holiday music, do yourself a favor and pick up this recording. It's worth the time to track down. I've got other Christmas CDs from Mannheim Steamroller I'll probably review over the next little while. I tend to get caught up in the spirit of the holiday season. But for now, this is a great place to start your collection and listen to a diverting piece of music that's to be respected as much for its musicianship as for its festive sound. My final words: PERFECTLY CRAFTED HOLIDAY EXPRESSIONS.

MANNHEIM STEAMROLLER - CHRISTMAS
01. Deck The Halls
02. We Three Kings
03. Bring A Torch, Jeannette, Isabella
04. Coventry Carol
05. Good King Wenceslas
06. Wassail, Wassail
07. Carol Of The Birds
08. I Saw Three Ships
09. God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen
10. God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen
11. Stille Nacht

No comments:

Post a Comment