Wednesday, November 24, 2010

GENE LOVES JEZEBEL - DISCOVER

Back in the early 80's, Utah's ABC affiliate used to show a late night program called "The Palladium". It was a nightclub in Salt Lake City where the kids would lip sync and do performance pieces based on popular new wave bands. I used to stay up all night on the weekends to watch the show. I discovered so many bands through the program and it shaped my identity throughout my teen years. I really wanted to be a skinny new wave kid with strange hair, make-up and cool clothes. My parents wouldn't let me express myself with an image. I was kept under tight reign by them. Still, it was fundamental to my thinking and helped me gain a concept of who I wanted to be.

Gene Loves Jezebel is one of the bands I saw discovered on the show. The song I saw performed was 'Brand New Moon' and it's the reason I picked up this disc. Huge mistake. If I'm not mistaken, Gene Loves Jezebel consists of two lead singers. They alternate back and forth. However, they're both absolutely tone deaf and terrible. They sound so similar it's often diff
icult to distinguish who's murdering which notes. The songs are so boring and uninteresting I can't believe I was drawn to this group. Just goes to show you how impressionable kids can be. I bought this disc at a used cd shop and I only paid a couple bucks for it, but even that was two too many. Listening to these guys sing is like listening to something dying. I couldn't even make it through the whole disc before I had to take it out. 'Brand New Moon' sounds nothing like I remembered it from the show.

There is one track I can say something good about and that is 'Desire (Come And Get It)'. Although hardly worth mentioning, it is ok and not completely distressing on the ears. Seriously, even right now, with this thing playing in the background... Yeuch! What a horrible record. With a different vocalist and some better production, some of this material might be salvageable. In it's current state it's an abomination. My final words: ENGLISH HILLBILLY CATERWAULING.


GENE LOVES JEZEBEL - DISCOVER
01. Heartache
02. Over The Rooftops
03. Kick
04. A White Horse
05. Wait And See
06. Desire (Come And Get It)
07. Beyond Doubt
08. Sweetest Thing
09. Maid Of Sker
10. Brand New Moon

No comments:

Post a Comment