Tuesday, November 2, 2010

ROB ZOMBIE - EDUCATED HORSES

I've often thought the way to be successful in entertainment is to find a niche and fill it. More often than not, groups that have longevity appeal to a very specific audience or they become tied to something that appeals to a large group of people. Rob Zombie is one of the few artists who've actually done this better than just about anyone by taking his love of B movies and classic horror and turning it into a music career. He bases his songs on horror culture themes. But not so much the slasher murder genre as the old Bela Lugosi, Ed Wood, Vincent Price horror classics. He named one song, 'Dragula' after the car created by Grandpa in "The Munsters" TV series. He also writes music aimed towards a more Americana genre.

With 'Educated Horses', Rob returns with typical Zombie flare. Many of the songs feature the power guitar chords Zombie fans have come to expect. He writes music in the vein of old movie scores. There are some different styles happening here. These are mainly caused by the presence of new band members who bring a different sound to his work. You can hear former Marilyn Manson guitarist John 5 experimenting with acoustical guitars on songs like 'Sawdust In The Blood'. There are some strange things happening I'm not sure I like.

While reading up on this record, I was surprised to learn this album sold so well. In all actuality, I didn't like it nearly as much as previous efforts. Of the entire record, I have only three songs I really enjoy. The rest I can safely ignore. The three tracks I really like are 'American Witch', 'Foxy Foxy' and my absolute favorite, 'Let It All Blee
d Out'. 'Let It All Bleed Out' has one of the most interesting vocal builds on a chorus I've heard in ages. Rob's harsh roar repeats the phrase building in volume and anger until he's practically yelling at you. It's very exciting.

There's plenty of creepy crawlies, scary monsters and power chords on 'Educated Horses'. More than enough to keep Zombie enthusiasts happy for another couple years until another disc is due. But for this fan, it left me a little homesick for his more adventurous days. My final words: SKIP IT UNLESS YOU'RE A TRUE ZOMBIE FAN.


ROB ZOMBIE - EDUCATED HORSES
01. Sawdust In The Blood
02. American Witch
03. Foxy Foxy
04. 17 Year Locust
05. The Scorpion Sleeps
06. 100 Ways
07. Let It All Bleed Out
08. Death Of It all
09. Ride
10. The Devil's Rejects
11. The Lords Of Salem

No comments:

Post a Comment