Tuesday, November 23, 2010

DEPECHE MODE - ONLY WHEN I LOSE MYSELF

This is the American maxi-single release of 'Only When I Lose Myself'. As you can see, the maxi-single didn't include all of the material generated for this release. It's quite disappointing and after buying the complete import set of singles, I wish I hadn't wasted my money on this item. The first mix is so bland and minimal I'm not sure you can actually call it a mix. It takes an already slow song and makes it even slower. Not in a good way. I could tell the mixer wanted to add a sense of urgency to the lyrics, but he only succeeded in dragging the song down. 'Headstar' is a brilliant tune in any form. Having the original track without any mixing is quite exhilarating. To this day, the original tracks of other b-sides such as 'Sea Of Sin' and 'Happiest Girl' remain unheard by the public. On the exact opposite end of the spectrum, 'Surrender' is a tune sounding much better when mixed. The original piece is kinda languid and boring. I'm not drawn to it at all.

'Only When I Lose Myself (Subsonic Legacy Remix)' is rather exciting purely from the drum track. It's a relentless beat that goes on for 7 minutes with barely any vocal overlay and little musical accompaniment. This song succeeds in creating urgency where Dan The Automater failed. Finally, 'Headstar (Luke Slater Remix)' is just plain awful. This came out during the time when certain electronic outfits were mixing extreme beats and sounds to create something new and progressive in electronic music. The fast paced jungle sound on this track sounds muddled and embarrassing, missing all the great parts of this excellent tune. My final words: MULTIPLE REASONS TO MISS THIS ONE.


DEPECHE MODE - ONLY WHEN I LOSE MYSELF
01. Only When I Lose Myself (Dan The Automater Remix)
02.
Headstar (Non-Album Track)

03. Surrender (Non-Album Track)
04.
Only When I Lose Myself (Subsonic Legacy Remix)

05. Headstar (Luke Slater Remix)

No comments:

Post a Comment