Friday, November 19, 2010

LIZA MINNELLI - RESULTS

I've never been a huge fan of musical theater. I think it's over the top. Like when you watch Barbara Streisand in a movie... She acts like she's on a theater stage. Each gesture and movement is exaggerated and larger than life.  It's more like a pantomime than real life. Liza Minnelli is one of those kinds of performers to me.  When she sings, I feel like she's enunciating every single syllable.  Kinda why I make such a terrible fag. I don't get that culture. It's not that I don't like her voice... She's fine. What I don't like is the delivery. Regardless, the music on the disc compliments her voice. She should do albums like this more often.

I picked up this record during a time I was really into the Pet Shop Boys.  This disc had new songs, so I bought it brand new and truthfully, I feel pretty good about it. The Pet Shop Boys didn't write everything on the record, but they did produce and arrange it. That alone makes it worth having.

The album starts off with 'I Want You Now'. It's a decent song. I love the beat and the music. Liza starts off with an over-the-top dramatic vocal. Even though that sets my teeth on edge, it's the lyrics that make this tune cringe worthy.  The intended meaning of the song is discovering the strength to be brave and take a risk on love. However, when you get to the chorus and hear,
"I want you now and I'm prepared to take chances,
I told you how I won't take no for an answer"
You get the impression you're listening to a stalker... Next up is the Stephen Sondheim classic 'Losing My Mind'; which the Pet Shop Boys recorded and released their own version of. This song really illustrates the difference between popular and theatrical music. The Pet Shop Boys' version is a polished and meticulously timed piece. Liza performs the standard more in the tradition of a show tune and her vocals seem to lag over the precision synth arrangement.

Easily one of the best original tunes written for this record, 'If There Was Love' relies on a deep but minimal drum pattern surrounded by sparse keyboard sounds. The vocals are light and whimsical belying the intensity of their content. It's actually quite amazing. The song has an incredible organic build and ends with a coda that incorporates Shakespeare sonnet #94 "They that have power to hurt" recited quietly over the music. 'So Sorry, I Said' is another lovely tune written for the record. Most of the tunes on this album seem so situation specific you can imagine them being performed on stage during a musical. It's followed by 'Don't Drop Bombs'; which could also be placed firmly in the same category. It wouldn't be hard to take these tunes and write a story around them.  Much like Abba did with their old tunes for the musical "Mama Mia".

The next track is a cover of Tanita Tikaram's song 'Twist In My Sobriety'. This track is a huge mistake. Sometimes a pop version of a hit single isn't the right choice.  It's not a bad cover, but it doesn't hold a candle to the original. It's responsible for the famous "Liza with a Z" rap; which I actually heard quoted on an episode of Will & Grace. 


'Rent' is a cover of a Pet Shop Boys' song produced by the Pet Shop Boys. The song makes more sense here as Neil Tennant doesn't come off quite convincing singing a song from the perspective of a kept woman. It also sounds theatrical. 'Love Pains' is another cover. This time from a woman named Yvonne Elliman. And I only know that because I looked it up online. This song has a great sound and a wonderful disco feel. It's also the song where Liza moves away from her trained singing style. She really cuts loose on this one.

'Tonight Is Forever' is another Pet Shop Boys cover. This time the arrangement is remarkably distinct from the original version. It's symphonic and rather sweeping. But perfect for Liza. Both PSB covers were given this treatment. The final song 'I Can't Say Goodnight', is another tune written specifically for this record. I actually find the production on this number a bit over the top. It starts off with a saxophone setting a noire mood. It is perfect for Liza in that like many of the other songs, it could easily work as a show tune.

I think the Pet Shop Boys used this project to satisfy their own musical theater ambitions, but they were sensible enough to understand their involvement would attract their fans as well as Liza's. They approached it with both audiences in mind and what they ended up with is a unique blend of synth pop and show music. Personally, I think the album is successful and extremely ambitious. I applaud Liza for choosing to work with them and them for working with her. It's a great listen all the way through and should satisfy both sets of fans.

My final words: I LOVED THE "RESULTS" OF THIS COLLABORATION.


LIZA MINNELLI - RESULTS
01. I Want You Now
02. Losing My Mind
03. If There Was Love
04. So Sorry, I Said
05. Don't Drop Bombs
06. Twist In My Sobriety
07. Rent
08. Love Pains
09. Tonight Is Forever
10. I Can't Say Goodnight

No comments:

Post a Comment