Monday, November 1, 2010

'TIL TUESDAY - VOICES CARRY

'Til Tuesday was a short lived new wave band from the 80's. The only member I know that ever did anything beyond the group is lead singer Aimee Mann. The rest of the group fell into obscurity. I bought this album at the Wow store in Las Vegas and if I remember correctly, I paid full price. Big mistake. Although I've always loved the song 'Voices Carry', I never picked up anything by the group until this CD. Banking on the power of 'Voices Carry', I decided to give the group a shot in hopes of finding more musical gems. What I got was a CD full of generic sounding American 80's New Wave with trendy bass lines, some interesting synth, live drums and Aimee's vocals; which can't always carry the material.

Where the record fails is the bland arrangements. 'Love In A Vacuum' has interesting harmonies and is nice to listen to solely on the strength of the chorus vocals. 'You Know The Rest' is also kinda nice, but doesn't stand out as anything but an average
effort. On 'Voices Carry', Aimee delivers a committed vocal full of frustration and passion. She's very expressive in the drama of the lyric. Sadly, I don't feel that same passion on any other song. She sings them in a half-hearted way. I can already tell this is going to be a rather short entry.

Let me just say it's not that I hate this record. It's not like I find the music appalling or horrible, I simply don't find anything exciting or interesting about it. It's boring. That being said, I can't say enough about the title track and how amazing I find that piece of music. It's absolutely wonderful! If 'Til Tuesday had found a way to write interesting, striking and diverse tunes in the vein of 'Voices Carry', they would've probably gone on to be a hugely popular band with longevity. For the record, I only know they released other records because I looked them up online. Without that little bit of research, I'd have just assumed they'd fallen off the face of the earth after this fiasco.


My final words: SKIP IT AND DOWNLOAD THE SINGLE TRACK.


'TIL TUESDAY - VOICES CARRY
01. Love In A Vacuum
02. Looking Over My Shoulder
03. I Could Get Used To This
04. No More Crying
05. Voices Carry
06. Winning The War
07. You Know The Rest
08. Maybe Monday
09. Are You Serious?
10. Don't Watch Me Bleed
11. Sleep

No comments:

Post a Comment