Thursday, September 1, 2016

SHINEDOWN - US AND THEM

This was a CD my baby sister, Annie gave me a few years before she died.  She wanted me to listen to it because she thought I would like it.  I kept it around but never played it.  When she was gone, I listened to it non-stop for days.  Even now, when I listen to this record, I think of her and it breaks my heart.

Shinedown aren't a band I'd heard of prior to Annie's suggestion.  I see them around now on friends' Facebook feeds or sometimes people discuss them when we talk about music.  But for me, they were a virtual unknown.  They sorta fit a genre of music I dabbled in, but never fully embraced.

Shinedown wear their influences on their shirt sleeves the way some people wear their hearts.  They obviously came up in the 90's when Grunge was a huge movement.  I wouldn't lump them in that category though, because they sound more like bands that happened afterward.  It's in the way the lead singer arranges his vocals.  There are moments when I feel like I'm listening to The Smashing Pumpkins and at other times, Soundgarden.  The music is generally aggressive and more rock than anything.  They're definitely more of a straightforward rock outfit.

I usually put the disc in and let it play, but there is one song I will listen to over and over.  The last track on the album is called 'Some Day' and although it's not about my sister, it feels like it is.  For me, the song is about the distance between two people.  The space between life and death.  Not being able to see her, talk to her or listen to her.  I don't know how else to describe what's become such an internalized and personal song.  It's a tune that captures something inside of me and transforms into an essential part of how I view certain memories and feelings.  For me, it's a part of what remains of her around me.  In both my heart and mind, I feel her in the sound.  This music was her favorite.  

And you hear her in it.

My final words:  A GREAT ALBUM WITH DEEP PERSONAL MEANING.

SHINEDOWN - US AND THEM
01. The Dream
02. Heroes
03. Save Me
04. I Dare You
05. Yer Majesty
06. Beyond The Sun
07. Trade Yourself In
08. Lady So Divine
09. Shed Some Light
10. Begin Again
11. Atmosphere
12. Fake
13. Some Day

No comments:

Post a Comment