Thursday, September 8, 2016

DEPECHE MODE - A PAIN THAT I'M USED TO

This is the first disc in a two disc set for the single, "A Pain That I'm Used To".  It features two tracks.  The first is the album version of 'A Pain That I'm Used To' and the second is a b-side song not on the album called 'Newborn'.

Since this release is so basic, I'll discuss the songs a little more in depth.  I really like 'A Pain That I'm Used To'.  I think it's a great song.  I'm not as impressed with the distortion sounds used at the first and throughout.  They started using forms of distortion in tracks right around 1992-93 when they released 'I Feel You'.  Granted, the sounds are used to emphasize the meaning of the song, but it ends up being more of a distraction.  In general, I love the tune and the meaning.  I think the lyrics are lovely.

'Newborn' is a much slower number.  It features a quieter distortion white noise sound like an ambient wind rushing.  When the drums start, it feels like a heartbeat.  The song is about falling in love and feeling like life is starting over.  Love transforms him into a newborn and everything becomes new again.  It reminds me of their older material from the early 80's and I'm actually glad they're doing stuff like this again.

My final words:  AN EXCELLENT SINGLE!  I WANT EVERYTHING I CAN GET MY HANDS ON FROM THIS RECORD.  AMAZING PERIOD OF TIME FROM DM.

DEPECHE MODE - A PAIN THAT I'M USED TO
01. A Pain That I'm Used To
02. Newborn

No comments:

Post a Comment