Wednesday, September 21, 2016

IN THE WHALE - FULL NELSON

This is another E.P. I picked up by the band, In The Whale at the Electric Six show.  They were the opening band.  Once again, the disc is loaded with rocking material.  In The Whale is a guitar/drum duo who really bring the intensity and the noise.  As a live band, they're both exciting and engaging.  On disc, they're able to convey the same level of energy and excitement they produce in a live setting.

I picked up three discs by them and this is the second I'm reviewing.  'Whiskey Gin + Beer' strikes me as a Southern Rock number.  It's got a great swing and I could easily see it racking up fans of that musical genre.  The first track is 'Radio' and it's an aggressive hard number that sets up the disc rather well.  There are some interesting vocal techniques used and overall, I quite like it.

My favorite song on the disc is probably 'Cavity'.  I like the rockabilly swing on this tune and it's the track I enjoy singing along with the most.  'Johnny Two A Day' is another blasting rock number performed with a more traditional metal vocal.

Surprisingly, the final track, 'Mail', is an acoustic ballad sung almost as a duet with a female vocalist.  I think the reason I like this track is because it demonstrates the band is so much more than just a rocking force of nature.  There's melody and substance there as well.

I'm happy to recommend In The Whale to people who are looking for a new group to discover or something to rock out with.  My final words:  WELL WORTH YOUR TIME AND MONEY.  

IN THE WHALE - FULL NELSON
01. Radio
02. Whiskey Gin + Beer
03. Cavity
04. Johnny Two A Day
05. Mail

No comments:

Post a Comment