Wednesday, September 14, 2016

DEPECHE MODE - USELESS

I think "Useless" was the second single from "Ultra".  Or maybe it was the third.  I just remember the import singles for this album were released in regular cases and the band reversed the covers.  The back cover with the barcode was used as the disc insert cover while the full cover picture was used on the back of the CD.  It was weird.  But also inventive.  I was really into "Ultra" and I bought everything I could from the album.  This is the first part of a two disc set.  It includes three versions of the track 'Useless' and a multimedia track containing the video for 'Barrel Of A Gun'.

The first track seems to be the exact same version of the song except the drum track is different.  I think this is the version that plays in the video for the song as well.  The second track is a 7 minute workout that starts off as an ambient version without a beat to a muffled drum version that sounds like you're hearing the song performed from another room.  The echo on the vocals is a bit much.  It lists the mix as parts 1 and 2.  I'm guessing part 1 is the ambient mix and part 2 is the Las Vegas lounge mix.

The final mix is the Cosmic Blues mix and I'd say it was aptly named.  It's got a trippy beat and a lot of special effect synth bleeps playing throughout.  It's like the musical version of the Star Trek Enterprise bridge.  All those bleeps and blurps...  When the guitar finally kicks in, you feel like you've been floating in space for awhile.  It certainly lives up to its name.

All in all, this is a strange but interesting single from DM.  I like it, but I also think it's rather weird.  My final words:  THIS SINGLE IS ANYTHING BUT USELESS...  I FOUND IT RATHER USEFUL....

DEPECHE MODE - USELESS
01. Useless (Remix)
02. Useless (Escape From Wherever: Parts 1 & 2!)
03. Useless (Cosmic Blues Mix)
04. Barrel Of A Gun (Video)

No comments:

Post a Comment