Tuesday, September 27, 2016

0(+> - INTERACTIVE

This disc is actually a computer game.  Well mostly.  I include it here because the disc does have one audio track you can play in a regular CD player.  At the time, 'Interactive' was a song Prince was playing live at club shows around the USA but it wasn't on an album or scheduled to be released on one.  The 'Interactive' segues ended up on "The Gold Experience" but the song itself didn't get a release until it found a home on the outtakes compilation, "Crystal Ball".

The game is also called Interactive.  The song, 'Interactive' actually plays in the game as a live concert clip featuring Prince and The NPG.  In fact, it sets up the game allowing you to land near Prince's house and explore the building.

The track is a rock number with a big band sound and an aggressive rhythm section all used to accentuate Prince's vocal delivery.  It's high intensity and a track the band would cut loose on both live and in the studio.

As a game, it was expensive when it first came out, but eventually I saw it packaged in game compilation packs for $20 price tag.  I'm not sure what the disc sells for today or even if you could play it on newer computers.  That's a question I'll have to investigate if I ever decide to play the game again.

'Interactive' was never one of my favorite tunes, but I did like the way it set up other songs during this time period.  I loved the NPG Operator segues between and how it featured in live setlists.  It would get the crowd moving and excited.  The version appearing on this disc is slightly different from the version appearing on "Crystal Ball" but I'm not sure how much difference there actually is.  I need to listen to both back to back.  My final words:  A UNIQUE ITEM.  YOU'LL HAVE TO DETERMINE IT'S VALUE FOR YOURSELF.

0(+> - INTERACTIVE
01. Computer Game
02. Interactive

No comments:

Post a Comment