Monday, September 19, 2016

DICK VALENTINE - QUIET TIME

For those of you who don't know...  Dick Valentine is the lead singer of both Evil Cowards and Electric Six.  He's released a series of solo records that usually consist of acoustic songs.  His new album is no exception.  However, it is slightly different in that the songs are all covers of material previously recorded and released by Evil Cowards and Electric Six.

I was excited about this release and even more pleased with it once I received it and was able to hear it.  I spent an entire morning driving around in my truck listening to it.  I was blown away!

No matter what the band or how much you love them, there are always certain songs you like more than others.  Oddly enough, this compilation has some of my all time favorite Evil Cowards and Electric Six tracks represented.  Right off the bat, Valentine starts with 'I Buy The Drugs'...  This song was the absolute jam the first time I heard it and I've enjoyed it immensely over the years.  I never get tired of hearing it.  Both 'Steal Your Bones' and 'Alone With Your Body' are present at the start of this disc and both songs were my favorite tracks on their respective albums.  'Steal Your Bones' is from "Kill" and 'Alone With Your Body' is from "Human Zoo".  One song about cloning and one about necrophilia...  Once again, Valentine challenges our preconceptions about taboo subjects and turns even the most grimacing perversions into humorous anecdotes.  If necrophilia ever becomes a socially acceptable form of sexual expression, we'll know who to blame.  

The track I was most anticipating is number 8.  'When I Get To The Green Building' is easily one of my all time favorite E6 songs to date.  I absolutely adore this song.  In some ways I see it as a classic rock opus...  One of those early rock ballads from the 70s where you would get more than just a cool song, you'd get a supernatural story; like the Eagles' 'Hotel California' or Led Zeppelin's 'Stairway To Heaven'.  To me, this is one of the strongest songs Valentine has ever committed to tape and I'm thrilled to have it appear here in this acoustic format.  It's as magnificent here as it is on the album.  It's followed by another song in this vein called 'Watching Evil Empires Fall Apart' and it's an epic as well.

There are two Evil Cowards' covers here.  'Sex Wars' from "Covered In Gas" and 'Rich Kids' is from "Moving Through Security".  Coincidently, 'Rich Kids' is my favorite track from "Moving Through Security".  So once again, he's picked more of my favs to re-invent and express here.

There are a couple songs on here I consider sleeper tracks.  In other words, I didn't like them the first time I heard them but as I listened to the album a few times, they grew on me and have become favorites.  These songs include 'The Band In Hell', 'Pink Flamingos' and 'Iron Dragon'.  There's even newer songs appearing on this compilation such as 'Roulette' and 'Take Another Shape'.  Both of these tracks are from Electric Six's last record.

Dick Valentine is an interesting character.  He's prolific.  Maybe not as prolific as Prince, but he writes a lot.  And his lyrics are written off by a lot of people, but those who take the time to invest in his work discover a song writer who is insightful, concerned, relevant and deeply poetic.  He's an under-rated talent.

What more do I have to say to encourage you to take a chance and buy this awesome record???  You need it.  Right now you can order the CD directly from Valentine through his Facebook page.  Otherwise, you will have to attend a live E6 show to purchase one.

If you don't know anything about Dick Valentine, this is a good starting point.  Pick up this record and if you like it, prepare yourself for even more to come as you explore the worlds of his various projects and bands.

My final words:  ACOUSTIC MASTERPIECE FROM A MASTER ARTIST!!!

01. I Buy The Drugs
02. Wikileaks
03. Steal Your Bones
04. Alone With Your Body
05. Show Me What Your Lights Mean
06. Sex Wars
07. Take Another Shape
08. When I Get To The Green Building
09. Watching Evil Empires Fall Apart
10. Rich Kids
11. The Band In Hell
12. Doom And Gloom And Doom And Gloom

13. Pink Flamingos
14. Roulette
15. Heartbeats And Brainwaves
16. Iron Dragon

No comments:

Post a Comment