Monday, May 10, 2010

PRINCE - THE HITS 2

This disc is supposed to be the naughty disc. Where more of the sexual lyrics are present. There are also some rather unexpected additions to this disc like 'Purple Rain'.

Like 'The Hits 1' this is a rather strong release. All of the songs are well known and representative of Prince's body of work. It covers his career in a satisfying way without neglecting any particular part. Like the previous disc, the album suffers most from the edited versions of songs. Everything seems hurriedly clipped together to make room.

I could easily spend hours discussing the merits of these tracks on their own, but I'll do that on their individual releases. In the interim, I'll simply say, it's worth it.

The two new tracks on this release, 'Peach' and 'Pope' are worth a look. 'Peach' was the song most promoted by Paisley Park at the time. They shot a video for it, released it as a single, etc. etc. It certainly showed the new direction Prince was taking his music. It fit the NPG format and featured Mayte strongly in the video. Still, it's one of my least favorite Prince tunes. I find it rather gesticulating and trollish. It's kinda gross listening to Prince lust after a young girl. My one word review of this track is... "Ew."

'Pope', on the other hand, is an entertaining piece. It too has elements of the upcoming NPG sound but these particular elements I enjoy. I think it's witty and catchy. The samples are fun and it has a wonderful beat. I give this one a thumbs up.
My final word: GREAT!


PRINCE - THE HITS 2
01. Controversy
02. Dirty Mind
03. I Wanna Be Your Lover
04. Head
05. Do Me, Baby
06. Delirious
07. Little Red Corvette
08. I Would Die 4 U
09. Raspberry Beret
10. If I Was Your Girlfriend
11. Kiss
12. Peach
13. U Got The Look
14. Sexy M.F.
15. Gett Off
16. Cream
17. Pope
18. Purple Rain

No comments:

Post a Comment