Thursday, May 13, 2010

ORGY - CANDYASS

Orgy came out on the heels of Marilyn Manson, Rammstein, Rob Zombie and other go-go metal acts. My first exposure to this group was seeing them perform live. They were part of a festival show I saw. I quite liked them live and when I saw the CD, I picked it up. My opinion of Orgy is kinda strange. I like them... Especially some of their later stuff. The first album isn't all that great though. There's all the elements of a great industrial metal disc and yet, none of the songs really jump out and grab you. Each one has an interesting hook at one point or another, but nothing that sets it apart from anything else at the time. Sadly, it came across as rather generic for the time.

There seems to be a preoccupation with shocking lyrics. Especially at the time Orgy came on the scene. Including words like razor, rape... seemed to be a way for bands to make themselves seem very anti-social. But with so many acts writing and producing outrageous music, the little lyrical dabbling of Orgy seems almost silly. Later on, the band seemed to move into a more mature view of things. Their subject matter extended to things beyond the typical overblown drama of ridiculous teenage angst. There's a lot of songs dealing with the miasma of petty relationships. Not to devalue a relationship in any way, but there are those people, and you know who I'm talking about, who constantly go on and on about their boyfriend/girlfriend and drive the world crazy by over-analyzing every single minutiae of every single detail... It's too much. And for some reason, the lyrics of this album make me feel like I'm being bombarded by someone's life I just don't care about.

The New Order cover is pretty exciting and better than the original. It's actually the song that got me into them. At one point I had the single but it's since been appropriated by those who plundered my collection. I like Orgy, and I like the album ok. Just not a stand out performance. Still, it's got a great title.
My final words: ANGST DRIBBLE.


ORGY - CANDYASS
01. Social Enemies
02. Stitches
03. Dissention
04. Platinum
05. Fetisha
06. Fiend
07. Blue Monday
08. Gender
09. All The Same
10. Pantomime
11. Revival
12. Dizzy

No comments:

Post a Comment