Tuesday, May 25, 2010

A PERFECT CIRCLE - MER DE NOMS

Although I knew Tool and listened to some of their stuff on the radio, I never really embraced them. They were musically more complex than I normally like in a rock band. They're a thinking man's rock. Whereas I prefer to go merrily along with sound and enjoy it in the moment. My first exposure to A Perfect Circle was on MTV. I saw the video to 'Judith' and I was really grooving to the beat. I loved the song. Shortly after I moved to North Carolina and the first gift Bryan gave me was this CD. I loved it. I had no idea A Perfect Circle shared the same frontman with Tool. From the song perspective alone, the band is far more accessible than Tool is. They've probably had more mainstream success because of it as well.

The first impression you have when you look at this disc is the beautiful artwork. This is exactly the reason why I love owning CDs vs. downloading. Sometimes, you get something truly exceptional in the packaging or the
artwork is simply amazing. 'Mer De Noms' is an example of this. Then there's the meat and potatoes of the disc... The actual music.

To call this disc one of the greatest rock albums of all time wouldn't be an understatement. It's one of the strongest records I've ever heard. Right from the start, with 'The Hollow' the band sets a precedence. With a strong, compelling rhythm, the song builds aggressively to a melodic breakdown that never really looses the tune's momentum and comes back like a right hook to the jaw. 'Magdalena' has an offbeat intensity that suits the lyrical content. There's a desire unsatisfied and an almost unresolved quality to the song progression that feeds this feeling. 'Rose' starts with a wilted sound. It's weak and almost boring, but further listening allows for the musical crescendo. Once the full force of the track kicks in, it's a power packed punch, blossoming into a red swell.


'Judith' is a stand alone track. It's uncompromising beat carries you along with all the rage of the vocal delivery. Philosophically, this song is quite aggressive. Musically, it's phenomenal. I absolutely love this song! There's no way around it. 'Orestes' is another song that builds to an amazing climax. It begins with a peaceful slow pace and evolves into a fuller sound like flashing police lights. "Cut away, clear away, sever this umbilical residue". Absolutely incredible lyrics. '3 Libras' is another amazing song. It makes me think of Bryan so much. I feel like this song describes how we were at the end. He couldn't see me. I became invisible to him. It's another of my all time favorite songs on the disc.

Both 'Sleeping Beauty' and 'Thomas' are excellent songs with interesting builds; but 'Renholder' is the unfettered masterpiece of this half of the album. More organic and feeling like something you'd hear on a movie score rather than a rock album, this gypsy campfire song is mysterious, spooky and completely in place with the feel of the record thus far. 'Thinking Of You' plays along the same lines with a spooky motif played under the first verse.
The rhythm section begins to sound less organic and more computerized, but the bridge and chorus promise salvation. Maynard's vocals bring the only relief to the song's urgency with the words, "Sweet revelation, Sweet surrendering".

'Brena' is a melodic ballad with beautiful lyrics and a natural feel to the song progression. It is followed by the slight and still 'Over'. Maynard sings softly over a piano and xylophone sound. Very peaceful and the perfect denouement. I'd call it a French art film if I had to relate it to something in real life.

These songs all seem to be extremely intimate portraits of people known by Maynard or other band members. There's a confiding quality to the disc. A whispered confidence shared between conspiring friends. Ultimately, it's one of those discs everyone should own. No collection is complete with 'Mer De Noms'... Especially yours.
My final words: A PERFECT CREATION.


A PERFECT CIRCLE - MER DE NOMS
01. The Hollow
02. Magdalena
03. Rose
04. Judith
05. Orestes
06. 3 Libras
07. Sleeping Beauty
08. Thomas
09. Renholder
10. Thinking Of You
11. Brena
12. Over

No comments:

Post a Comment