Sunday, May 16, 2010

NO DOUBT - ROCK STEADY

No Doubt was a huge band in the 90's. Especially in Vegas. Everyone was listening to them. They were a huge band. Despite the fact you couldn't throw a brick without hitting them, I never really got into them. I liked the songs they had on the radio but never enough to actually buy any of their records. The only reason I bought this disc was because Prince works on it. He contributed to one song, so it had the potential of being one of those discs that you fork out the money for one measly track. But 'Rock Steady' survives my one hit Prince collection quagmire and comes on like a one, two punch.

This is quite a different record for no doubt. They were on the cusp of that midway alternative ska movement. Even though this album has a lot of that swing beat to it, it also incorporates more electronica than before and has elements of reggae as well. The band enlisted some serious producers for this record. Whether that was intentional to produce a specific sound, get a hit album or just because they liked the people they worked with; the eclectic feel of the disc makes it truly infectious and listenable.

'Hella Good' starts the disc off with an amazing beat and forceful song. It's easily the most powerful and straight forward track on the album. It's produced by Nellee Hooper who also produces 'Detective', 'Running', 'In My Head' and 'Rock Steady'. Oddly enough, not only is Hooper partially responsible for the strongest song on the disc, he's also on the hook for the weakest... 'Detective' is my least favorite track. It is odd enough to make me think it's one of those tracks you either completely love or hate. In my case, it's hate.

Cars veteran, Ric Ocasek picks up the reigns for a couple of songs, both having that very obvious Cars sound and beat. They're both enjoyable numbers. They're not the most exciting, but they're good fair. William Orbit shows up for a disappointing showing with 'Making Out'. The Sly & Robbie tracks are pretty good. I've never heard of Steely & Clevie, but I really like 'Start The Fire'.

The Prince track, 'Waiting Room' isn't the best track on the disc. Usually, it's the strongest. In this case, not so. However, it is the most unique and pretty good overall. I quite like it and more than some of his other collaborations, I feel this song fits quite well with the diverse material on this disc.

I'm not the biggest No Doubt fan out there, but if they were releasing material like this all the time, I'd be all over them. It's a surprising disc full of wonderful musical moments. No Doubt fans won't be shocked at the excellence of this album, but casual listeners might wanna give the band a shot. At least with this one. They rock steady, no doubt.
My final word: YES!


NO DOUBT - ROCK STEADY
01. Intro
02. Hella Good
03. Hey Baby
04. Making Out
05. Underneath It All
06. Detective
07. Don't Let Me Down
08. Start The Fire
09. Running
10. In My Head
11. Platinum Blonde Life
12.
Waiting Room
13. Rock Steady

No comments:

Post a Comment