Friday, May 14, 2010

MARK MORRISON - RETURN OF THE MACK

I used to have the entire album by this guy. But like so many other discs, it was stolen at one point or another. I've never replaced it. For the most part, I enjoyed the disc and I'm surprised he didn't do better. I felt the songwriting was strong and Morrison has an interesting vocal delivery. He's a pretty solid singer.

'Return Of The Mack' is an extremely solid tune. It's got an amazing beat and fun lyrics you can sing along with. The mixes on this single are kinda strange... The first track is an extended version of the song. It has all the integrity of the original track but draws it out for 7 minutes. Usually, longer songs can get tedious, but this mix pulls it off in an enjoyable way. For me, it's become the standard version of the song. I really like it. The second mix is boring. It breaks the beat down to a slow mellow groove, but there's nothing really interesting about the sound to make it worth paying attention to. I'm really not sure why it was considered for the single release. Surely there were other versions with stronger beats attached. The other two "mixes" are an a capella version and an instrumental. Interesting on their own, but hardly worth including on a single. The vocals are part of the music's strength.

The second track is 'Trippin'' and just like 'Return Of The Mack', the first mix is an extended version of the song. 'Trippin'' is another strong track from Morrison and is awesome as an extended version. The mix of 'Trippin'' is slightly better than the mix for 'Return Of The Mack', but not by much. I don't know where they got these people to mix, but there was some really boring mixing going on. B-double o-ring...

Overall, I'm glad I still have this single. At the very least, I still have two songs from this great vocalist. I really need to buy that disc again.
My final words: DEEPLY FUNKY.


MARK MORRISON - RETURN OF THE MACK
01. Return Of The Mack (C&J X-Tended Radio Edit)
02. Return Of The Mack (Da Beatminerz Remix)
03. Return Of The Mack (Accappella Of The Mack)
04. Trippin' (C&J Mix)
05. Trippin' (Salaam Remi Remix)
06. Return Of The Mack (Instrumental)

No comments:

Post a Comment