Sunday, May 23, 2010

PATTI LABELLE - BE YOURSELF

This is another album I initially bought for the Prince songs... Many years later however, I saw her live in concert and she blew my mind! I absolutely have great respect for this woman. And when I listen to her CDs now, I listen to them from that headspace.

Anyone who knows me well knows I'm seldom interested in vocalists. I enjoy certain voices and I have respect for many, but usually those who write with a band or compose their own material. I find little to no satisfaction in following vocalists. Of course there are some exceptions to the rule. Seeing Patti live has earned her a place in that rare category.

With such renewed interest in her, I listened to this album much differently than I did when I first bought it. The first song is one that obviously made the record company rounds... Celine Dion had a minor hit with the same track. Though the arrangement is similar, Patti's version is easily the superior number. Although it would be simple to write a lot of these tracks off as fluff, Patti performs each tune with conviction. She heard something in each one and uses her expressive vocals to portray the characteristics of each song in its best possible light. This disc has many stand-out moments. The Full Force track, 'I Got It Like That' features an amazing scale by Patti. She rips it up! Even though the song has typical Full Force sound, it's hardly one of their finer moments; sounding instead like a song written around a pop culture cliche rather than an original concept.

The Prince songs are incredibly strong, though 'Love 89' tends to be musically more complicated and less straight forward than 'Yo Mister'; the latter being a typical sound for him during this period. The true genius of 'Love 89' is summed up in the lyric, "don't take time 4 Jesus, unless u got time 4 the sinners that be." To put forth such a blatant commentary about hypocrisy through an artist of LaBelle's stature was a bold move and even more powerful with her vocals backing it up. This track is also unique because it features the first time Prince uses the term, "New Power Generation"; which became not only his label after Paisley Park shut down, but also the name of his backing band ever since. It's also been a reoccurring theme musically for him. It all started here, folks!

'Be Yourself' is worth the time. It's an exceptional piece of work from a truly brilliant talent. You'll enjoy yourself.
My final word: EXCEPTIONAL.


PATTI LABELLE - BE YOURSELF
01. If You Asked Me To
02. I Can't Complain
03. Be Yourself
04.
Yo Mister
05. I Got It Like That
06. Love 89
07. Still In Love
08. I'm Scared Of You
09. Can't Bring Me Down
10. Need A Little Faith
11. I Can Fly

No comments:

Post a Comment