Wednesday, December 1, 2010

TLC - OOOOOOOHHH...ON THE TLC TIP

This is the beginning of something amazing. TLC dominated the Urban Hip Hop charts for most of the early 90s with their combined sound of R&B vocals, rap and funk. About the time this record started burning up the radio stations, I was just starting to listen to popular radio in Vegas. I alternated between the alternative rock station and pop/urban station. The first CD from TLC I actually bought was "CrazySexyCool". This disc is one I bought used and mainly because I loved the second disc so much. I figured this one would be just as great. I was disappointed at first. I felt this one lacked the hits and chart potential of their sophomore effort. Still, after listening to it repeatedly, it got better and better.

The first track, 'Ain't 2 Proud 2 Beg' is absolutely brilliant. It's one of the songs I remember hearing on the radio and I think it was not only a brilliant choice for a single, but it's also an infectious club track deserving of some excellent mixing. I wouldn't mind picking up a single to this awesome number. The follow up number 'Shock Dat Monkey' has a great beat, but I don't really enjoy the tune. It seems rather lackluster to me. The segue tracks are short and not nearly as annoying as they are on some other albums. These segue tracks were originally included on records almost like a blooper track of some sort. To insert humor and a behind the scenes look. But more often than not, they become full fledged dissertations espousing a viewpoint or commentary. I find them extremely distracting and more often than not, totally pointless. TLC use them, however they limit the negative aspect and keep the album flow happening in a positive direction.

Of the next batch of songs, 'Das Da Way We Like 'Em' and 'What About Your Friends' are two more great tunes. 'What About Your Friends' is another song I remember in heavy rotation on the radio station. I loved it then and I love it now. Driving to work this morning, I was singing along at the top of my voice even with a horrible cold. I'm amazed how well these songs have held up over time.

'Baby-Baby-Baby' is another number I remember from the radio and I quite like it too. There's more great beats on the rest of the album. But my favorite songs are already listed. I'd like to point out one more aspect of this record I find rather amazing. Usually when a group comes out it can take awhile to develop a sound unless they've been touring together for awhile. Most pop acts don't fall into this category. So many groups are put together by producers or labels and represent a sound the marketing machine is trying to tap. These groups usually develop a solid sound over the course of a few albums. Musically, TLC may have taken a couple albums to develop, but the aspect of the group that makes it so unique and interesting is the layered vocal performances and the rapping. To their credit, TLC deliver a solid already strong flow and style. It's fascinating to see a group come out with such a strong debut. They certainly deserve the praise they got for this new and exciting record.

My final words: OOOOOOOHHH...TASTY BEATS!


TLC - OOOOOOOHHH...ON THE TLC TIP
01. -Intro-
02. Ain't 2 Proud 2 Beg
03. Shock Dat Monkey
04. -Intermission I-
05. Hat 2 Da Back
06. Das Da Way We Like 'Em
07. What About Your Friends
08. His Story
09. -Intermission II-
10. Bad By Myself
11. Somethin' You Wanna Know
12. Baby-Baby-Baby
13. This Is How It Should Be Done
14. Depend On Myself
15. -Conclusion-

No comments:

Post a Comment