Wednesday, December 8, 2010

RAMMSTEIN - ROSENROT

I think the saddest thing about this album from Rammstein is they weren't sure they were even going to bother releasing it in America. It's sad because every time Rammstein has toured in the states or released here, they leave feeling completely repressed and having to compromise their artistic vision. I have mixed feelings about this. A part of me thinks they're being ridiculous, another part of me agrees with them about the unfriendly artistic environment musicians and artists in the United States find themselves in. I still think they have an obligation to their fans here. Many of us are left high and dry while Rammstein focus their attentions on other countries. Most American artists do the same thing. They focus mainly in the states while their foreign fans go without. But Rammstein are a group who could play here and sell tickets if they really wanted to.

The American release came months after the European, Asian and even Canadian versions. My copy is Canadian. The best thing about Rammstein is they consistently deliver what their fans want while simultaneously expanding their musical palate with each release. Once again, the album is preformed almost entirely in the bands' native German with two exceptions. On 'Stirb Nicht Vor Mir (Don't Die Before I Do)', a duet with Sharleen Spiteri of 90's Scots band Texas, is performed partially in English. Another track and one of the CD's highlight numbers, 'Te Quiero Puta' is performed in Spanish.

Right from the outset with 'Benzin', the heavy beat and guitars kick in to let you know what's to come. Keeping in tune with the groups' continued fascination with fire and explosive performances, 'Benzin' is a sloppy word kiss for the combustible accelerator. The group also has a tradition of performing homoerotic material and the second track, 'Mann Gegen Mann' is another guitar driven tribute to same sex intercourse specifically between two men. The first time I heard the record I was completely blown away by the powerful start and anxious for more. My initial reaction to 'Rosenrot' the title track was one of lukewarm affection. I didn't really like it. However, I couldn't get it out of my mind and now it's one of my favorite songs on the record.

'Spring' is another matter altogether. I feel up to this point, the band had created an unstoppable momentum. With 'Spring' they totally drop the bottom out from under the listener. It's not a bad song, but it's not their strongest material either. 'Wo Bist Du' raises the tempo but not the volume. It's not the best followup to 'Spring' but is considerably better. It's followed up with 'Stirb Nicht Vor Mir (Don't Die Before I Do)' the half English duet. This song is very strange. It sounds like a collaboration that never really favored either group. I doubt it fits Sharleen Spiteri's sound and it definitely doesn't fit Rammstein's. My opinion is one of befuddlement. My eyebrows raise in an arch and I wonder to myself, "Hunh?". The lyrics are a bit ridiculous as well. But Rammstein can be that way sometimes. I've learned to overlook the childish in favor of the sheer poetry of other songs.

The Noise cranks back up to acceptable Rammstein levels with the next track, 'Zerst
ören'. I love the intensity of this brilliant track. Even though 'Hilf Mir' is another life threatening plunge from a metal skyscraper, the lyrics are cool enough to make the song worth listening to. However, I've never found an appreciation for these slow tempo power ballads. 'Te Quiero Puta' is simply amazing. I love it. Perfection on multiple levels. Both 'Feuer Und Wasser' and 'Ein Lied' are ballads. Both are extremely slow. More than any other Rammstein record to date, this album is practically flooded with ballads. With over half the tracks being mid-tempo or slow ballads, it's not your typical Rammstein record. The highlights are certainly worth it. When they're on, they're on 100%. When they're off, they miss by miles. The cover of this album is a large ice breaker ship caught in a frozen ocean. Sadly, that's how this record can seem at times. It starts off like a massive piece of machinery barreling forward crashing through ice and then WHAM! you're brought to a screeching halt. It is perhaps this inconsistency that makes it the least popular Rammstein records to date. But I actually love it. It's still almost half and half with me, but more on the like side than dislike. Then again, I love Rammstein. I like what they do and I love their music, so it's not a huge stretch for me to give this one a thumbs up. My final words: DEEP WATERS ARE NEVER STILL.


RAMMSTEIN - ROSENROT
01. Benzin
02. Mann Gegen Mann
03. Rosenrot
04. Spring
05. Wo Bist Du
06. Stirb Nicht Vor Mir (Don't Die Before I Do)
07. Zerst
ö
ren
08. Hilf Mir
09. Te Quiero Puta
10. Feuer Und Wasser
11. Ein Lied

No comments:

Post a Comment