Monday, December 6, 2010

BRONSKI BEAT - THE AGE OF CONSENT

Bronski Beat was an amazingly important group in the 80's. Not just because they were riding high on the new wave movement, but because this record probably more than any other at the time defined gay culture. This was the first openly gay record by a band who not only sang songs about gay love, but were openly gay as well. The first single I remember was 'Smalltown Boy' which documents the tale of a gay teen who is kicked out of his home because his parents find out he's gay. Another kid on the streets because he's a little different. If this song was a cry of injustice than the album itself was a war horn! With the opening track, 'Why?' Bronski Beat didn't bother pulling punches. Bursting out in his choirboy falsetto, Jimmy Summerville breaks the silence when he queries why people hate and why there is prejudice. "Contempt in your eyes when I turn to kiss his lips"... They follow it up with 'Ain't Necessarily So' a song that wisely points out, "Things that you're liable to read in the Bible ain't necessarily so." More strong numbers follow like 'No More War', 'Heatwave' and the beautiful but socially outrageous 'Need A Man Blues'. There's not a single track here that isn't superb and brilliant with Sommerville's delightful voice augmenting the sometimes theatrical music with an angel's pleading and urging. It's a masterpiece.

I remember hearing other Bronski Beat tunes after Sommerville left the band. I don't remember what I thought of them other than they were pretty good. But it's nice to have this particular CD because it has remixes of the singles from the later album "Hundreds And Thousands". It also features a couple songs I'm guessing were single b-sides. I bought this disc for well above retail at the local gay and lesbian bookstore in Las Vegas. Even with my employee discount I think I paid something like $18.99 for it. Let me tell you kids, it was worth every penny.

For stricter fans of new wave and 80s electronica, this will be a disappointing release. It features music and arrangements more in step with musical theater rather than straight forward new wave. Just listen to the tap dancers in the background when Sommerville sings 'Heatwave'. There's an almost Vaudevillian sound happening here. I strongly recommend this record to young gay and lesbian kids who are curious about their history. This album was extremely important to your culture and took great strides to creating a world where you can be accepted and loved for who you are. For fans of 80's pop, I'd say pick it up because it features so many great hits from that time. And for those who hate, I suggest leaving it alone and getting something a little more angry. Bronski Beat is not for you.

My final words: AN ANGELIC CRY FOR EQUALITY!


BRONSKI BEAT - THE AGE OF CONSENT
01. Why?
02. Ain't Necessarily So
03. Screaming
04. No More War
05. Love And Money
06. Smalltown Boy
07. Heatwave
08. Junk
09. Need A Man Blues
10. I Feel Love
11. I Feel Love (Medley With Marc Almond)
12. Run From Love (Re-Mix From 'Hundreds And Thousands')
13. Hard Rain
(Re-Mix From 'Hundreds And Thousands')
14. Memories
15. Puit D'Amour
16. Heatwave
(Re-Mix From 'Hundreds And Thousands')

No comments:

Post a Comment