Wednesday, December 29, 2010

BLONDIE - THE BEST OF BLONDIE

I used to think Blondie was an 80's band until I discovered they actually started in the 70's. Of course their biggest success occurred in the 80's. They topped the charts in the early 80's and Deborah Harry became an 80's icon of superstar proportions. I loved many of their songs. I used to watch an all night video show called "Night Flight" or something like that and I remember seeing the video for 'Rapture'. It was awesome! I also remember seeing the band perform on Saturday Night Live at some point.

Anyway, Blondie was one of the first groups I ever knew and although I liked what I heard, it wasn't anything I owned. I bought this CD at a used shop in Vegas back in the 90's. I saw it and thought to myself, "You know... Isn't it time you actually had some of those songs?" I liked them, could sing along with them and there was no reason not to have them.

I bought the CD and I've never regretted that decision. I absolutely love the disc. There are certain songs that make me wonder if I'd be a huge Blondie fan outside of their more commercially viable material, so I'm kinda glad I've limited my exposure to these classics. I'm sure Blondie fans the world over would hang me for heresy for saying that, but as a casual listener it's better to stick with what's already popular than to jump into the deep end.

This collection has my all time favorite Blondie track on it. 'The Tide Is High' is a wonderful number written by John Holt for a band called The Paragons. Some of my other favorites include 'Heart Of Glass', 'Dreaming', 'Hanging On The Telephone', 'One Way Or Another', 'Call Me' and of course 'Rapture'. This is a wonderful collection because it really does highlight the best parts of this band and what made them so interesting and unique. Even the 50's quality tunes from their 70's releases are satisfying and fun to hear. This is probably one of my all time favorite best of compilations. My final words: DEFINITELY BEST OF!


BLONDIE - THE BEST OF BLONDIE
01. Heart Of Glass
02. Dreaming
03. The Tide Is High
04. In The Flesh
05. Sunday Girl
06. Hanging On The Telephone
07. Rapture
08. One Way Or Another
09. (I'm Always Touched By Your) Presence Dear
10. Call Me (Theme From American Gigolo)
11. Atomic
12. Rip Her To Shreds

No comments:

Post a Comment