Saturday, December 11, 2010

KYLIE MINOGUE - BODY LANGUAGE

The first time I heard anything about Kylie Minogue was that horrible 80's track 'Locomotion'. I absolutely hated that song and I hated the video. I looked down my nose at Kylie and figured she was nothing but some marketing director's idea of a fluff pop sensation. She was just awful. And from that initial reaction, I pretty much wrote her off. And then she came back. She found new production teams who updated her sound and she started sounding fresh and interesting.

My first exposure to "Body Language" happened on a drive to Denver over the Rocky Mountains. I knew I was in for a long one and I decided it would be fun to discover some new music rather than try to locate public radio stations everywhere along the way. My best friend at the time burned me a couple copies of some CDs he was listening to and that was what I listened to. This was one of the CDs he burned and let me tell you, I freaking loved it. I thought it was incredibly smart pop music with incredible hooks and excellent lyrics. The vocal performances were wonderful and fun. Everything I thought about Kylie went right out the window.

Imagine my surprise when I discovered this disc hosts a wide variety of producers and writers. I was in shock. The music and flow of this record is so cohesive and similar, I was convinced it was the same production team on every song. This, folks, is a solid piece of work. It's a truly magnificent bit of music. There are certain songs that stand out above the others, but it's an album you can put in and let play without finding one track you dislike or can't stand. They're all catchy, easy to sing along with and infectious beyond belief.

I would like to take the time to cover some specific numbers I think are truly deserving of special attention. The first is 'Sweet Music'. With it's heavy rhythm track and bass line, it's got a great build from the verse into the chorus where it erupts like a volcano. Kylie delivers a gradual vocal performance so well done it almost merits an Oscar. This is an awesome number to boom out the window of your truck or car while you're driving. Those deep rich drums are beyond funky. So much fun to boom and catch attention. The second track I want to mention is probably my favorite number on the entire disc. It's just so brilliant! It's the first ballad on the record and on first listen, you think it's gonna be another lame slow song. The vocal arrangement is interesting, but hardly original. Then you start to pay attention to the lyrics and by the time the chorus comes in, you realize you're hearing something new and unique.

"if love were liquid it would drown me,
in a placeless place would find me,
in a heart shape come around me and then,
melt me slowly down,
if love were human it would know me,
in a lost space come and show me,
hold me and control me and then,
melt me slowly down - like chocolate"

The poetry of this song is absolutely stunning. It leaves me completely breathless when I listen to it. I love song-writers who write original and interesting lyrics and these guys did with this song. It's without a doubt, my most favorite song on the record.

It's hard not to talk about all the songs because I like them all to one degree or another. They're all frisky and fun. But I'll wrap it up for now. Let me just say in closing that these are some awesome numbers and I think anyone who buys this record will not be disappointed with the material. It's excellent pop. My final words: IF THIS CD WAS A JEWEL, IT'D BE DIAMOND!


KYLIE MINOGUE - BODY LANGUAGE
01. Slow
02. Still Standing
03. Secret (Take You Home)
04. Promises
05. Sweet Music
06. Red Blooded Woman
07. Chocolate
08. Obsession
09. I Feel For You
10. Someday
11. Loving Days
12. After Dark
13. Cruise Control
14. You Make Me Feel

No comments:

Post a Comment