Monday, April 19, 2010

VAN GOGH - VAN GOGH

This disc was only available directly from the artists. I bought it for a couple reasons. I initially saw a program featuring the band on television. I think it was PBS and I was interested in what they were doing. Shortly afterward, I learned Prince contributed a song to the band. Even though I didn't want to admit it, the Prince song was the motivation I needed to pick up one of their cds and listen to it. Sadly, Prince later reclaimed the song and released his own version through the NPG Music Club. In my opinion, that was kinda messed up. It ruined the value of the track and the importance of this disc to Prince fans. He defeated his own efforts to build up the group.

My overall assessment of this disc is promising. The influence of The Beatles is prominent. You can also hear some 80s vibe happening. They use lots of 80s electro pop tricks here and there; but it's the combination of rock with melody that dominates the writing structure of their material. Though much of what you hear is easily written off as a whole, when you examine the songs one at a time, you get a better sense of their intent. 'Simple Cinderella'
sounds too much like a Joe Cocker number for my taste. 'The World In A Nutshell' is an interesting piece and really caught my attention. Lyrically, Van Gogh have a 60s psychedelic feel to them; focusing on the abstract rather than the rational. 'Maybe' sounds like a cross between Randy Newman, ABBA and modern country.

The Prince track is produced and arranged by the band. Even though his version sounds remarkably different, it still stands out with its rhythm and quirky build. Lyrically, it's an interesting concept... Loving someone so utterly, you only see the illusion they choose to show you ultimately leaving you blind to reality.

My opinion of the disc is favorable though it's not a disc I spend lots of time with. I've never been caught up in The Beatles or the Americana sound of Bruce Springsteen and Bruce Hornsby. I certainly respect and admire the musicianship of these artists, but I don't relate to them. If you feel a connection to this kind of rock and roll, Van Gogh may be right up your alley.
It's still an interesting listen just to hear their version of the title track. My final word: PROMISING.


VAN GOGH - VAN GOGH
01. Simple Cinderella
02. The World In A Nutshell
03. All The Time In The World
04. Almost Too Real
05. Ready, Willing And Able
06. Van Gogh
07. Tangled
08. Lift Me Up
09. Maybe
10. My Telescope
11. All That Glitters
12. Waiting For A Revolution

No comments:

Post a Comment