Monday, April 26, 2010

STEVIE NICKS - TROUBLE IN SHANGRI-LA

This disc was a comeback of sorts for the Fleetwood Mac singer. After a string of low impact albums, 'Shangri-La' came on like a punch in the gut. Although I don't know the history of the record or where all the tracks originate, I can tell some of them are older. 'Bombay Sapphires' for example sounds like something belonging to 'Street Angel'. There are also songs like 'Sorcerer' I suspect are from early times. Back in the 70s even.

First off, before I get all crazy let me make one thing perfectly clear... I love Stevie Nicks. Absolutely adore her. I think she's beautiful, spiritual and talented beyond belief. Ok, now that's out of the way... Nicks has a rather monotone singing voice and not much range. She uses certain tricks to augment her sound like using background singers to hit the notes she can't. It's an effective method. But her more recent material has been so monotone, it became a boring mass of repetition. Of course, and this is something I remember from "Behind The Music" on VH-1, I think I remember she was suffering from writer's bl
ock. That being the case, I suspect someone encouraged her to get back to writing. Hence the tune 'That Made Me Stronger'. "Can you write this for me - He says no, you write your songs yourself".

Irregardless, this disc was a return to form. With catchy melodies and her standard poetic lyrics, it's easily the best Stevie Nicks to date. There's not a single bad track on the entire disc. Certain songs are more exciting than others, but all of them are gorgeous and lovely to listen to. My favorite tracks are 'Sorcerer', 'Planets Of The Universe', 'Every Day', 'That Made Me Stronger', 'Too Far From Texas', 'Love Changes' and 'I Miss You'. But all of the songs are great.

'It's Only Love' reminds me of my ex. I've had different relationships, but I only had one I feel was really love. I say that because I felt loved by him. Losing that was devastating. I look at my life now and I think if I spend the rest of my life alone, it's ok because I had it once. I want more, but I can be satisfied with what I had. "Ah, if only
love comes around again - It will have been - Worth the ride". But if it doesn't, I'll still be happy.

Many of these songs make me think about my own life and different situations I've been in. To me, that's the strength of a great poet or songwriter. If they can relate in such a way, the listener can put the song into their own lives and find meaning in what they're hearing. These are the artists people feel so emotional about. Stevie has the ability to do this. And she works with people who also create this or accentuate her natural ability. I can only imagine how collaborative she is as an artist. She'd be a joy to work with.

Sheryl Crow puts in an appearance on the album, writing and also producing many tracks. I'm guessing she's a long time Stevie fan and wanted to work with her. Crow is an amazing talent in her own right and her sound blends flawlessly with Nicks'. The two are absolutely stunning together.

If you're too young to think of Stevie as the woman of your dreams, it's not hard to imagine she's the mother
you always wanted. Or some important woman in anyone's life. She projects a sense of kindness, intuition, strength, love and concern. She's a woman any of us would love to have in our lives. I think of her as an angel. My final word: ENCHANTING.


STEVIE NICKS - TROUBLE IN SHANGRI-LA
01. Trouble In Shangri-La
02. Candlebright
03. Sorcerer
04. Planets Of The Universe
05. Every Day
06. Too Far From Texas
07. That Made Me Stronger
08. It's Only Love
09. Love Changes
10. I Miss You
11. Bombay Sapphires
12. Fall From Grace
13. Love Is

No comments:

Post a Comment