Tuesday, April 6, 2010

ELECTRIC SIX - FIRE

When I think of the Electric Six one word comes to mind... Inappropriate! These adult frat boys rock the scene with music that is politically challenging, cynical and altogether crass. 'Dance Commander' appeared in the Disney sport flick "Stick It" while 'Danger! High Voltage' appeared in one of the Charlie's Angels movies. That's where I discovered the band. I put two and two together and realized they were the same band. It didn't take me long to track down this disc and buy it. I actually had to special order it in. The local record stores didn't carry it. What a shock. But once I got the disc in the truck I fell in instant love.

Dick Valentine goes out of his way to write lyrics offensive to everyone. He steps on toes, crosses boundaries and shows little or no regard for social labeling or socially acceptable behavior. It's utterly brilliant! Also present is Jack White from the White Stripes. He sings the female lead on 'Danger! High Voltage'. Which makes this song important to Stripes fans.

Most of these songs demonstrate Valentine's rebel nature. Consider 'Gay Bar'... He wants to take his girlfri
end to a gay bar because he's excited by the idea of fooling around there. He chooses a setting most people would find unacceptable and then champions behavior completely unacceptable in that setting. In other words, he's inappropriate in inappropriate places. Is nothing sacred?

I also love 'I'm The Bomb'. What an amusing little ditty. So many excellent tracks to point out and discuss. But I won't get all crazy with that here. I'm way too into what's happening overall with this band. Very exciting.

I'm drawn to them by the interesting blend of musical styles. There's disco, funky, rock, new wave, some Latin jazz, blues and metal... It seems to be the duty of this band to bastardize any and all genres of music to further their own egotistical view of rock 'n' roll. It's dynamic, exciting and incredibly fun to listen to. Not to mention the humorous and interesting videos... This band makes me wanna watch MTV, (well if they showed videos again). It's been a long time since an artist made me wanna see videos.

I'm hooked and looking forward to hearing more from the Six. Run, don't walk, to the local store and pick up 'Fire'. You'll be rocking out by sundown.
My final word: TASTY.


ELECTRIC SIX - FIRE
01. Dance Commander
02. Electric Demons In Love
03. Naked Pictures (Of Your Mother)
04. Danger! High Voltage
05. She's White
06. I Invented The Night
07. Improper Dancing
08. Gay Bar
09. Nuclear War (On The Dance Floor)
10. Getting Into The Jam
11. Vengeance And Fashion
12. I'm The Bomb
13. Synthesizer

No comments:

Post a Comment