Thursday, April 15, 2010

ANI DIFRANCO - TO THE TEETH

Ok, so my relationship to Ani is long and extremely complicated... She hoovered around my conscious mind for months. Her image was everywhere. Spin Magazine, Rolling Stone, cd covers at friends' homes... Then my friend Brenda asked me to go with her to an Ani concert at the Joint in Las Vegas. At the time, I was concert bound virtually every night, so I agreed to go. I loved every second of it and immediately went out and bought some Ani cds. I've seen her in concert since a few times and each one was a wonderful experience. Very casual and free.

This album is somewhat unique in my collection because I own it for two reasons. First, it was the new Ani Difranco cd and I wanted it; second, Prince contributes vocals to one of the songs. I never suspected Ani would work with Prince but I'm pleased she did. Both are extremely diverse artistically
and tend to write unconventional music.

The first track is a wonderful number about gun control and teenage shootings. At the time this disc was released, Columbine was still strong on the social radar and people were freaking out about teen violence. It's a poignant piece. Extremely blunt and straight forward. And I'm sure it's incredibly offensive to Republicans and those who think gun control is anti-American. I'm kinda in the middle myself. I think people who have guns should be extremely responsible for them. But enough about politics, let's talk about music.

There are a number of tracks that stand out to me on this disc. I'd describe her musical style as punk/folk. She's got all the punk rage and rhythm but her sound is more organic in the style of folk singers. 'Wish I May' is an amazing track. Also stand out are 'I Know This Bar', 'Hello Birmingham' and 'Carry You Around'. The quirky 'The Arrivals Gate' is also a highlight. It sounds almost
out of place on the album configuration with the exception of the last minute of 'Freakshow'... But would fit perfectly in a movie soundtrack. Its offbeat canter is exciting and surprising at the same time.

Prince adds a dimension to 'Providence' in a way you wouldn't expect to hear on an Ani record. Yet, she uses his contribution well and instead of detracting from her sound, it enhances it greatly. It's a wonderful collaboration and shows Prince working with another artist in a different way than usual. Normally, he writes a song, donates it and steps back or controls the project to the end. He rarely steps in, does a bit for someone else and walks away. A unique occurrence for certain. And one worth hearing.

Sadly, most of my Ani cds have vanished over the years. Theft or circumstance have taken them out of my life. But I long to have them again and I wish my collection of her music was more complete. Sometimes I long
to hear a certain song only to discover it's gone from my shelf. It would be almost better if I'd never known what I was missing. Despite the odd way Ani came into my life, she's a welcome figure in it now. And 'To The Teeth' is just one reason I want her to stay. My final words: SO RIGHT.


ANI DIFRANCO - TO THE TEETH
01. To The Teeth
02. Soft Shoulder
03. Wish I May
04. Freakshow
05. Going Once
06. Hello Birmingham
07. Back Back Back
08. Swing
09. Carry You Around
10. Cloud Blood
11. The Arrivals Gate
12. Providence
13. I Know This Bar

No comments:

Post a Comment