Thursday, April 8, 2010

THE DETROIT COBRAS - BABY.

I heard about The Detroit Cobras on NPR when Fresh Air did a review of this record. I liked one of the tracks I heard and looked for it online. But no luck. The local record store owner and I were talking about it and she said if I bought it and didn't like it, she'd buy it back from me full price. So I bought it.

At first listen, this isn't your typical rock band in any way. They seem to come from the same circle of local bands that produced such acts as Electric Six and the White Stripes. They basically update old rock 'n' roll covers. Since I'm not familiar with most of the original material, the majority sounds new and fresh to me. The songs are quite engaging, catchy and have an alternative punk sensibility to them.

The only odd thing is the nature of the tunes. Some of these songs seem outdated like
'Baby Let Me Hold Your Hand'. You just don't imagine people walking around holding hands anymore. Even though I recently dated someone and holding hands was one of the most intimate expressions in that setting. It was incredible. 'Weak Spot' and 'Hot Dog (Watch Me Eat)' are two of my favorite tracks. 'Weak Spot' is extremely tender and sensitive. I think the tune is sweetly romantic and quite expressive. 'Hot Dog' is more funny and enjoyable for other reasons. It could be worth the purchase price alone.

'Everybody's Going Wild' reminds me of 60s go-go dancers. It has that rolling beat to it. 'Cha Cha Twist' is also pleasing. A very strong rhythm. As an added bonus, you can view the multimedia file of the 'Cha Cha Twist' video. The actual appearance of the band is somewhat shocking and different from the music. But they're still an exciting band. There's some rockabilly sounds here too. Would you call this group a greaser band? Probably if they dressed more sensibly. Live, they look more like a Vegas lounge act with leopard prints and hooker boots.

In the grand tradition of early rock 'n' roll, each song clocks in somewhere between 2 and 3 minutes. Even then, it's an enjoyable experience and well worth the listen. If you like some good rock every now and again, this album will come in handy. I've been thinking about tracking down the history of these tracks and finding out where they all came from. But that's an undertaking I don't have time for. Maybe in the future. Check out The Detroit Cobras. They rock!
My final words: OLD SCHOOL ROCKS!


THE DETROIT COBRAS - BABY.
01. Slipping Around
02. I Wanna Holler (But The Town's Too Small)
03. Baby Let Me Hold Your Hand
04. Weak Spot
05. Everybody's Going Wild
06. Hot Dog (Watch Me Eat)
07. Mean Man
08. Now You're Gone
09. It's Raining
10. Just Can't Please You
11. The Real Thing
12. Baby Help Me
13. Cha Cha Twist
14. Ya Ya Ya (Looking For My Baby)
15. My Baby Loves The Secret Agent
16. Heartbeat
17. You Don't Knock
18. Silver & Gold (When I Get Like This)
19. 99 And A Half Just Won't Do
20. Insane Asylum

No comments:

Post a Comment