Tuesday, April 20, 2010

NORAH JONES - COME AWAY WITH ME

I'd heard 'Don't Know Why'... This was back in the day when I actually watched television and I'd seen the video. I knew the name, but I never really listened to the music. It wasn't until I saw "Two Weeks Notice" where Norah appears in a cameo singing 'The Nearness Of You' that I realized how interesting this up and coming artist was. The first disc I actually bought was her second and it wasn't until much later that I finally picked up 'Come Away With Me'. Still, I always knew I'd have it one day.

Norah has one of those sultry seductive voices. It floats across any room it fills and kinda wafts like rich hot chocolate under your nose on a cold day. She's as soothing as lemonade in summer and warm as a fleece blanket in fall. She welcomes you, wraps you up and makes you feel like an old friend hanging around under a pile of fluffy pillows.

As much as I love her voice and style, I sometimes take exception to the songs she chooses to perform. Most of them are written by her band members. And for the most part, they're exceptional. Still, some of them seem like throwaway country at times. On this disc there are some amazing stand out cuts. Like 'Turn Me On', 'The Nearness Of You' and the haunting 'I've Got To See You Again'. 'Feelin' The Same Way' is a bouncy number with an enjoyable rhythm and a lovely intensity while 'Come Away With Me' starts out sounding like 'Moon River'. As a title track, it's mellow and sweet sentiment aptly describes the look and feel of Norah while at the same time showcasing her whispery vocals in a sensual blend of emotional longing and practiced skill. 'Shoot The Moon' is a remarkable song with powerful lyrics about missed opportunities and loss. 'Painter Song' almost reminds me of Simon & Garfunkel, while 'One Flight Down' has an almost Dolly Pardon-like quality to it. 'The Long Day Is Over' feels like an old negro spiritual at first before morphing into a number you'd expect to hear in a smokey piano bar. I think the only song I don't really like on this disc is 'Lonestar'. Not for any reason other than it just seems predictable and somewhat lackluster to me.

Although it wasn't my first Norah Jones cd, it certainly is the root of my appreciation for her. Subsequent albums have special places on my music shelf and I find myself turning to her during stressful times to just kinda take the edge off the day. If you haven't heard it, find someone who owns it and borrow it. Let it play softly in the background while you go about your day and see if Norah doesn't become a ready friend you've known your whole life.
My final word: SULTRY.


NORAH JONES - COME AWAY WITH ME
01. Don't Know Why
02. Seven Years
03. Cold, Cold Heart
04. Feelin' The Same Way
05. Come Away With Me
06. Shoot The Moon
07. Turn Me On
08. Lonestar
09. I've Got To See You Again
10. Painter Song
11. One Flight Down
12. Nightingale
13. The Long Day Is Over
14. The Nearness Of You

No comments:

Post a Comment