Thursday, September 2, 2010

THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW - ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK

"The Rocky Horror Picture Show" gained cult fame sometime in the 70's by becoming a hit with late night film goers. The audience eventually took up an interactive role with the film. Stories of which are legendary and continue to this day; giving this movie the status of having the longest theatrical run in the history of film.

Richard O'Brien wrote the musical stage script, the musical score and co-wrote the screenplay for the film adaptation. He also appears in the film and sings on the soundtrack as the character Riff Raff. The music is highly integrated into the storyline of the film. Even though it's essential and primary to the plot, they do stand up on an individual listening. For the most part. You can easily put the character in a situational context while listening to the lyrics even if you'd never seen the film. Written in the tradition of 50's rock n' roll with a bit of 70's mixed in, the songs are also awesome because the film stars sing the tunes in character. Not all of the cast are great singers.
But the lack of talent only serves to heighten the fun. You can easily listen and sing over the top of the vocal talent and still have an enjoyable experience.

Bless his transsexual heart, Tim Curry delivers the performance of his career as the evil villain of the piece. His campy performance offsets the tongue-in-cheek numbers like 'Sweet Transvestite' and 'I Can Make You A Man' while at the same time delivering a sincere and genuine performance on the enduring anthem numbers 'Fanfare/Don't Dream It' and 'I'm Going Home'.

Since I was too young to really appreciate the social implications of this film and soundtrack, I'm left to speculate as to what it was actually like when it came out. I'm guessing songs about cross-dressing and alternative lifestyles weren't within the traditional scope of suburban America at the time. I imagine this soundtrack as being a rallying cry for
those living underground or non-traditional lives. It championed and gave voice to so many who felt oppressed or ignored by society.

By today's standards, the music would be considered tame. Yet I suspect it still serves as inspiration for artists looking for an unorthodox perspective or who feel trapped and unable to express their true potential.

As a whole, I enjoy listening to this record. I like certain songs more than others, but even the ones I'm not particularly fond of I enjoy when I watch the film. It truly embodies the rebel rockers of the late 50's. It is a classic record. And easy to get into even if you haven't experienced the film. After all, it's just a jump to the left!
My final words: UNORTHODOX CLASSIC. 


THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW - ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK
01. Science Fiction/Double Feature
02. Dammit Janet
03. Over At The Frankenstein Place
04. The Time Warp
05. Sweet Transvestite
06. I Can Make You A Man
07. Hot Patootie - Bless My Soul
08. I Can Make You A Man: Resprise
09. Touch-A, Touch-A, Touch Me
10. Eddie
11. Rose Tint My World
      a. Floor Show
      b. Fanfare/Don't Dream It
      c. Wild And Untamed Thing
12. I'm Going Home
13. Super Heroes
14. Science Fiction/Double Feature: Reprise
15. The Time Warp (Remix 1989 Extended Version)
16. The Time Warp (Music - 1 = Background Track + U Mix)

No comments:

Post a Comment