Friday, September 10, 2010

BERLIN - PLEASURE VICTIM

I actually missed Berlin's early days. By the time they were on my radar, they were huge chart maker's with songs like 'No More Words' and 'Take My Breath Away'. I was a little apprehensive about them. Especially since they were so closely linked with "Top Gun"; a movie I thought was a total waste of time and space. That association alone would have put me off the group forever. But in the mid-90's a radio disc jockey for the local alternative station in Vegas had a retro lunch hour. She used to play all kinds of 80's classics. Some of which I'd never heard before. And so it was I discovered Berlin.

This particular CD is one I paid full price for. I bought it at the WOW store in Vegas. When I first bought this disc I was really into it. I'd just discovered some new 80's material and loving the music I was hearing. But even then, the synthesizer sound was getting old and dated. Still, many of these tracks continue to hold up under further listening. 'The Metro' is an absolutely brilliant tune and is a song I love pumping out the truck window as I'm driving along. 'Sex (I'm A...)' is another song that continues to sound awesome blaring out my speakers. Even if the lyrics are a bit silly and often embarrassing, (though not because of content, more for vocal delivery). Interestingly enough, the extended version of 'Sex (I'm A...)' is included on this release and though it's not often the case with extended versions, is actually pretty good and inspiring.

My biggest criticism about Berlin would probably be Terri Nun. She's got a great voice and it certainly suits the later music Berlin did as a full band rather than the synth sound of these earlier recordings. She sounds far too mainstream for what Berlin were doing at the time. Songs like 'Masquerade' and 'Torture' would have been more legitimate with a male vocalist. I'm not trying to be sexist here... It just seems to me, unless a woman has an extremely unusual quality to her voice, it never carried over well in New Wave/Synthesizer music. It seems these bands were embraced more readily by gay audiences. I never saw the point in selling such a blatant straight sexual image to them. And Terri Nun was just that.

Berlin did have one gay member... Cute and cuddly David Diamond, who grew up to be a devilishly handsome bear. Combined with John Crawford who got better looking when he gained some weight and you have a very good looking trio. Sex does sell. And having David Diamond in the group certainly helped them achieve status among the gay community. At least I hope so.

Needless to say, Berlin is still around and still releasing. Their last record came out in 2009. I'm not sure what I'd think of them now, but I know I certainly enjoyed where they started. This is a great album to pick up and listen to. Especially when you want to remember how wonderful life was back in the 80's. 'Pleasure Victim' will certainly remind you just how great it was to be a kid during the Reagan years.
My final word: NOSTALGIC.


BERLIN - PLEASURE VICTIM
01. Tell Me Why
02. Pleasure Victim
03. Sex (I'm A...)
04. Masquerade
05. The Metro
06. World Of Smiles
07. Torture
08. Sex (I'm A...) (Extended Version)

No comments:

Post a Comment