Thursday, September 23, 2010

DOYLE BRAMHALL II - DOYLE BRAMHALL II

I have such mixed emotions concerning this disc. I love it and hate it at the same time. There are moments when I'm just standing around and I think, "I really wanna hear that song", and I'll pick it up and listen. But it fades quickly and I move on. My reasons for loving it aren't always pure. Once again, I'm drawn to this work because Wendy & Lisa are all over the disc. And once again, they bring out the best in the artists they work with. My biggest reason for hating the disc is Bramhall himself. Not him as a musician or anything other than his voice. I find it intensely annoying. When he sings, I lose interest in the music. If it wasn't for Wendy & Lisa's work on the disc, I wouldn't have given half this material a chance. And that would be extremely unfortunate.

Wendy gets writing credits on 'Time', 'They Get Together' & 'Stay A While' with Lisa. They produced the entire record and perform on every song. It's that otherwordly quality of Wendy & Lisa music that enhances the material and in my opinion makes the songs interesting. There's a certain sound these women create that other artists can't seem to duplicate. Whether
it's Lisa's distinctive piano playing or Wendy's signature guitar work, the musical arrangements sparkle with lush sound. They virtually explode from the speakers. Lyrically, the tunes are interesting and offbeat. Bramhall does have a flare for poetic description and for writing from different points of view.

I want to like him. I really do. I just don't dig that voice. *sniffle*

There are a couple stand out tracks I have to mention. 'Time' being one of them. 'Time' is an instrumental piece played entirely by Wendy, Lisa and Doyle. The guitar work is astounding. And it easily evokes a sense of time when you listen to it. Truly an incredible piece. 'They Get Together' is also lovely. The narrative is beautiful and poignant. It's co-written by Wendy's twin sister and fDeluxe member, Susannah Melvoin. Doyle later married her. I find the ballads on this disc are probably my most favorite. 'Close To Me' is awesome! There's something sweet about it... Like confiding deep feelings of profound love. It kicks in with a 70's groove that won't quit.

My absolute favorite song is 'Stay A While'. This is a song I keep going back to. Truth be told, on this song, Doyle's voice doesn't drive me to irritation. I actually like it. Maybe it's the way the vocals are arranged or maybe it's the key it's written in... Either way, it's a song that causes me to experience some strong emotions. There's longing, resignation and a finite moment of pure bliss traveling along these notes. Without a doubt, this is the perfect track to close the disc out with. From the first notes punching out of Lisa's piano, to the final fade out, you feel a sense of intimacy you don't want to end. The song draws itself out not in an annoying, "When is this gonna end?" way, but rather more like a, "Not-yet, please-not-yet" kinda way. You know it's over... It's time to go... And yet you want to stay. Just for a while.

My final word: CONFUSING. When I listen intently, I get frustrated with the vocals. If I play the disc in the background while I'm doing something else, I find myself singing along and enjoying the mood it creates. So what do I do? Tell you to buy the best tracks and shelve the rest? Can't do it. Instead I will recommend this disc for those who share my passion for Wendy & Lisa. It's worth it. Without a doubt.

DOYLE BRAMHALL II - DOYLE BRAMHALL II
01. Song From The Grave
02. Ain't Goin' Down Slow
03. What You Gonna Do
04. Close To Me
05. True Emotion
06. Bleeding From A Scratch
07. Time
08. Part II
09. He Stole Our Love Away
10. The Reason I Live
11. They Get Together
12. Jealous Sky
13. Stay A While

No comments:

Post a Comment