Saturday, September 25, 2010

NEIL FINN - ONE NIL/ONE ALL


Neil Finn is a name fans of 80's music will recognize. As a former member of Split Endz and Crowded House, Finn made a name for himself. What most people in the states don't realize about him is his international recognition as a solo artist. In March of 2001, he released a CD called 'One Nil'. The album later got a domestic release in a reworked version called 'One All' complete with replaced tracks and a new tracklist. After listening to both, I find the original 'One Nil' the superior incarnation.

My initial attraction to this project was the session musicians and songwriters not Finn himself. And I'm referring to Wendy Melvoin and Lisa Coleman. Anyone who knows me will tell you what a fanatic I am about these two. I'll rant for hours how influential they were on the sound of the 80's and how I consider them two of the most overlooked and undervalued composers/musicians of our time. I just love them.

On the original version of the disc, Lisa and or Wendy play on every song and take writing credit for some of them as well. The first time I heard the disc, I was disappointed. I thought the songs were lackluster and boring. I waited grudgingly for each track to end so I could hear the next. I was impressed with Lisa & Wendy as always, but found the overall appeal vaguely annoying. Imagine my surprise when...

Driving home from work one morning, I put the disc in to listen to the songs I found tolerable. By the time I got home, I realized what a diamond this disc actually was. It starts off slow with 'The Climber' then segues into 'Rest Of The Day Off'... This track is amazing! From there, the unrelenting beat picks up again with 'Hole In The Ice'. I found myself singing along and relating to the lyrics. Amazing tunes, one right after the next. 'Anytime', 'Last To Know', 'Turn And Run'... The David Bowie 'Outside'-esque 'Elastic Heart'... All of these tracks were incredible! It became a regular in my cd player for months afterward. I couldn't stop listening to it. I drove friends and family crazy with it. I discovered Neil Finn.

The domestic release left a lot to be desired. The change in the tracklist and the missing/replaced songs left me unsatisfied. The two new songs 'Lullaby Requiem' and 'Human Kindness' weren't as exciting or fully produced as the Wendy & Lisa tunes, but they do showcase some excellent song writing. Especially 'Human Kindness'.

Wendy & Lisa have an amazing ability to inspire and realize the musical potential of the people they work with. I'm sure Neil looks at this body of work and considers it the best of his career. I certainly would. I strongly encourage you to find this music and listen to it now. You may not like it right away, but give it a chance and I think you'll find like I did how incredible it really is.  
My final word: BRILLIANT! 

NEIL FINN - ONE NIL/ONE ALL
ONE NIL
01. The Climber
02. Rest Of The Day Off
03. Hole In The Ice
04. Wherever You Are
05. Last To Know
06. Don't Ask Why
07. Secret God
08. Turn And Run
09. Elastic Heart
10. Anytime
11. Driving Me Mad
12. Into The Sunset
ONE ALL
01. The Climber
02. Driving Me Mad
03. Hole In The Ice
04. Last To Know
05. Wherever You Are
06. Secret God
07. Lullaby Requiem
08. Human Kindness
09. Turn And Run
10. Anytime
11. Rest Of The Day Off
12. Into The Sunset

No comments:

Post a Comment