Wednesday, November 16, 2016

RAMMSTEIN - LIEBE IST FÜR ALLE DA

Rammstein released this record in 2009.  I was fortunate enough to have a friend at the record store who ordered me the Limited Edition version.  This version includes a second disc with additional music.  I'll discuss that later on because for now I want to say I really went all out on this release.  I knew they were planning on touring the states for this album after skipping the US on previous tours and when they announced a show in Vegas, I got my tickets right away.  And let me tell you, they did not disappoint.

The first disc begins with a choir vocalizing until Till suddenly bursts in and starts singing in his half growl, half melodic voice.  As quickly and unexpectedly as he appears, the guitar power chords surge in and like the tires on a car squealing when you peel out, 'Rammleid' explodes from the speakers.  I could instantly tell I was going to love this record.  Even with bands you love there are times when they release albums you don't like everything you're hearing.  Although there are a couple of brief moments like that here, I think the disc is overall amazing and worth exploring.  'Ich Tu Dir Weh' is the first song I really got into and it's followed by the track that's become my absolute favorite song from this record.  'Waidmanns Heil' is one of those great tunes that sounds fantastic no matter where or how you're experiencing it.  Although I will say, seeing it live was a life changing event for me.  It was powerful, exciting and dramatic!  The special effects were off the hook and the crowd responded so well, I think it actually surprised the band.  Simply put, this is a track that ROCKS!!!

'Wiener Blut' is another standout number and it's followed by a song I can't take seriously.  Don't get me wrong, I like the music, but I find the lyrics a bit ridiculous.  'Pussy' begins with a weak electronic drum pattern that reminds me of 'Pop Goes The World' by Men Without Hats, but then the live drums erupt and all heck breaks loose.  In the concert, Till Lindemann rides a giant foam cannon across the stage.  It's shaped like a penis and he fires foam all over the audience.  Hilarious.

'Mehr' is the last track I really love on the album and it leads to the ballad, 'Roter Sand' which ends the disc.  It's a satisfying disc and you'd be completely happy with it in that form but...  Wait!  There's that second disc!!!  It starts with 'Führe Mich'.  This is one of their Piledriver songs.  I call it that because these piledriver numbers are usually the ones they use to open their shows.  The second track, 'Donaukinder' reminds me of 'Spieluhr' from "Mutter".  Only Rammstein can take something as innocent as a lullaby and turn it into a frightening parody of itself.  You can only imagine the types of nursery rhymes Till puts his kids to bed with each night.  The intensity of 'Halt' is quickly extinguished by an orchestral version of 'Roter Sand'.  I'm not a huge fan of it on the first disc and even less impressed with it here.  Another ballad, 'Liese' rounds out the second disc.

It always amazes me how poetic and layered Rammstein's lyrics are.  They're truly one of the most interesting bands around today.  Sure they get written off as a power chord metal outfit, but if you take the time to translate and study their lyrics, you'll find a group expressing thoughts and ideas you probably wouldn't even consider in English.  I'm constantly surprised by them.  This record is excellent and left me anticipating their next release.  My final words:  IF YOU DON'T HAVE THIS EDITION OF THE ALBUM, STOP WHAT YOU'RE DOING AND GET IT.  IT'S NOT COMPLETE WITHOUT THE SECOND DISC.

RAMMSTEIN - LIEBE IST FÜR ALLE DA
CD1
01. Rammleid
02. Ich Tu Dir Weh
03. Waidmanns Heil
04. Haifisch
05. B********
06. Frühling In Paris
07. Wiener Blut
08. Pussy
09. Liebe Ist Für Alle Da
10. Mehr
11. Roter Sand
CD2
01. Führe Mich
02. Donaukinder
03. Halt
04. Roter Sand (Orchester Version)
05. Liese

No comments:

Post a Comment