Wednesday, November 23, 2016

PRETENDERS - THE SINGLES

Pretenders are a band I always liked but never followed.  Back in the 80's, I remember really digging their stuff, but for some reason, I never felt motivated to pick up any of their albums.  I'm not sure if that was a smart idea or not.  I found this CD in a clearance bin at a pawn shop.  I bought it for $1 and I was thrilled because I would finally own so many of the songs I loved by this group.

However, as I listened to the record, I wasn't nearly as impressed with some of the songs I didn't know compared to the ones I was familiar with.  I think Pretenders are a group I like on a song by song basis.

The first song on the collection I love is 'Brass In Pocket'.  This is one of the most rockin' seduction songs ever written.  It's confident, aggressive and clearly written for someone lead singer, Chrissie Hynde was into at the time.  'Talk Of The Town' is another track I enjoy.  

Pretenders are an amalgam of rock sounds and there's a lot of punk simplicity to many of their songs like 'Message Of Love' and 'Middle Of The Road'.  I generally love all the songs on this record.  Even some of the lesser known singles like 'Thin Line Between Love And Hate' (a cover of the track by The Persuaders) and '2000 Miles'.  My favorite song is probably 'Back On The Chain Gang' though 'Show Me' is a close second.  I'm also a big fan of 'Don't Get Me Wrong' which is probably the song the group is most famous for.  I think it was their highest charting single, but I could be wrong.  It's also fun to see the inclusion of 'I Got You Babe', the Sonny & Cher cover she performs with UB40.

Hynde is an excellent vocalist with a unique sound.  Any song she tackles is transformed into something made for her.  Just through her incredible voice.  As a song-writer, she is challenging and quite blunt at times.  I find her lyrical voice refreshing and interesting.  During a time when a lot of female performers were prancing about in their underwear or singing nursery rhyme sounding sex pop, Hynde was bringing it to the masses in the form of a self-confident, strong, expressive woman.  She can hold the stage with any guy at any time.

Although I suspect my tastes in their music runs more to the later albums as opposed to their earlier work, they're a group I do feel inspired to hear more from.  I've streamed some of their albums and eventually, I plan on buying the ones I really like.  In the meantime, I'll be happy with this awesome collection of some remarkable music!  My final words:  ONE PERFECT COLLECTION FROM AN AUTHENTIC VOICE IN ROCK MUSIC!

PRETENDERS - THE SINGLES
01. Stop Your Sobbing
02. Kid
03. Brass In Pocket
04. Talk Of The Town
05. I Go To Sleep
06. Day After Day
07. Message Of Love
08. Back On The Chain Gang
09. Middle Of The Road
10. 2000 Miles
11. Show Me
12. Thin Line Between Love And Hate
13. Don't Get Me Wrong
14. Hymn To Her
15. My Baby
16. I Got You Babe

No comments:

Post a Comment