Tuesday, November 22, 2016

CAROLE DAVIS - HEART OF GOLD

Carole Davis was on my radar because she received a song writing credit on Prince's "Sign 'O' The Times" album.  She co-wrote 'Slow Love'.  I have no idea how they met or how this collaboration came about, but it was enough to make me aware of her.  I stumbled across this record while I was living in Europe.  I picked it up because it was cheap, used and 'Slow Love' was listed as a track.  I initially assumed Prince had worked with her, recording the song for her album and then using it on his own.  However, her album was actually released two years after his.

The main producer is Nile Rodgers and for the most part sounds a lot like the pop music at the time.  It actaully sounds a couple years outdated, but typical.  Davis could be lumped in the same sort of category as Paula Abdul and female groups like En Vogue.  I would go as far as to suggest she would be in the same style of Debbie Gibson and Tiffany.  Most of the music is somewhat juvenile and trivial.  Prince had a habit of writing songs for women that sounded a bit shallow.  And apparently, so does Nile Rodgers.  Coming from a grown woman, the material sounds a bit "Junior High", but oh well...  She landed a recording contract, so that's more than most people get.  The bulk of the music straddles teeny-bopper pop and Hip Hop.  She's got a couple rappers appearing throughout, but I'm not sure I've heard of any of them.

There are bits and pieces of musical genius on this disc, but they're only elements of songs and get overwhelmed by the mediocrity of the rest of the tune.  I think there are some great ideas...  just not enough to make her stand out in a crowd of pop singers.  It's enjoyable to listen to, but not enough to survive repeated plays over a long period of time.

Her version of 'Slow Love' is a bit more energetic than Prince's, however, she doesn't sound as soulful or as genuine in her delivery.  I would say I like the music on her version more, but the truth is, I've never really been a fan of the track and both versions leave a lot to be desired.  However, I've heard some live versions by Prince that were simply outstanding...  So I would say the track isn't a total wash.

Unfortunately, this album is.  I wish I could recommend it, but I sorta regret picking it up.  I'm indifferent to it.  Since downloads came into fashion, I think this would be one album and track I would skip buying a physical copy of and stick with a download.

My final words:  AN UNEVENTFUL START TO A SINGING CAREER THAT NEVER REALLY TOOK OFF.

CAROLE DAVIS - HEART OF GOLD
01. It's In My Genes
02. Dissin' Jerome (Girl Talk)
03. When My Money's Gone
04. Serious Money
05. The Thigh's The Limit
06. Sexual Favors
07. Mirror, Mirror On The Wall
08. Sticky Situation
09. Antonio Was A Gigolo
10. A Frown Is Just A Smile Upside Down
11. Slow Love

No comments:

Post a Comment