Thursday, November 17, 2016

DEPECHE MODE - THE BEST OF DEPECHE MODE VOLUME 1

Ah, Depeche Mode...  Once again, you release yet another best of compilation and once again, being the completest that I am, I had to pick it up.  During this time, I was snatching up everything I could by them.  This item is a bit unique in that I only purchased one version of the release.  I bought the limited edition and left it at that.  The limited edition of this CD comes with a bonus DVD that includes all of their videos up to that date and a short film about the band.

My other reason for buying this compilation is the inclusion of a previously unreleased track called, 'Martyr'.  When I bought this, I figured it would be the only place I could find the track.  However, the band released it as a single.  I could've saved money and just picked it up there.  As for the DVD, all of these videos have been released on other video collections.  Most of which I already have.  So... Economically, this wasn't the most prudent purchase.

Still, it's a nice collection to have an it certainly makes previous hits compilation unnecessary.  The value isn't really there though.

I believe this came out right around the same time Depeche Mode were releasing their deluxe editions.  I was determined to get the deluxe edition of all of their albums.  Of course things have changed a bit since then.  I'm not longer as deeply committed to the band as I once was.  Their more recent material hasn't impressed me.  In fact, I find it formulaic and repetitive.  There was a time this group was on the forefront of innovation in sound and composition.  These days, they sort of phone it in.

But, back when I bought this, I was experiencing a re-dedication of sorts.  

There's not a lot I can say about this release.  Nothing is new aside from 'Martyr'.  It's just new packaging of old material.  It's funny, but I sort of wish some of the newer bands I'm listening to would do something like this.  Probably because I'm used to it from DM.  The difference between this release and the single disc edition is the cover photograph.  On the single disc, the flower is black while on the limited edition, it's pink.  My final words for this release:  ANOTHER HITS COMPILATION.  DEFINITELY SKIPABLE UNLESS YOU'RE A COMPLETEST.

DEPECHE MODE - THE BEST OF DEPECHE MODE VOLUME 1
CD
01. Personal Jesus
02. Just Can't Get Enough
03. Everything Counts
04. Enjoy The Silence
05. Shake The Disease
06. See You
07. It's No Good
08. Strangelove
09. Suffer Well
10. Dream On
11. People Are People
12. Martyr
13. Walking In My Shoes
14. I Feel You
15. Precious
16. Master And Servant
17. New Life
18. Never Let Me Down Again
DVD
01. Just Can't Get Enough
02. Everything Counts
03. People Are People
04. Master And Servant
05. Shake The Disease
06. Stripped
07. A Question Of Time
08. Strangelove
09. Never Let Me Down Again
10. Behind The Wheel
11. Personal Jesus
12. Enjoy The Silence
13. I Feel You
14. Walking In My Shoes
15. In Your Room
16. Barrel Of A Gun
17. It's No Good
18. Only When I Lose Myself
19. Dream On
20. I Feel Loved
21. Enjoy The Silence 04
22. Precious
23. Suffer Well
24. The Best Of Depeche Mode: A Short Film

No comments:

Post a Comment