Saturday, November 26, 2016

PETER GABRIEL - SHAKING THE TREE: SIXTEEN GOLDEN GREATS

I first became aware of Gabriel when his album "So" was all over the place.  I was young and going through that period where I thought only the music I loved was worth hearing.  I remember thinking some of his stuff was catchy, but just hearing he had a history in rock music with Genesis turned me off to him.  I hated Genesis.  So I never gave him a real chance.  

Even then, his music was always around.  You couldn't pay attention to the charts and not be aware of him.  And quite frankly, some of his stuff did filter through to my hard candy center.

It was while I was living in Europe that I really developed an appreciation for him.  During that time, whenever I was missing home or my family and friends, there was one song I could play that would bolster my spirits and help me endure.  'Don't Give Up' featured Gabriel singing with one of my favorite musicians, Kate Bush.  That powerful message made me feel less alone when I really needed a friend.  I bought this CD while I was living there just because I needed to have a copy of that song.  It was through this compilation that I discovered what a true talent this man is.

The great Gabriel tracks are here.  And although I admit, I like his chart toppers, it's the stuff that doesn't get the huge attention that I respond to the most.  Right off the bat, you get 'Solsbury Hill' and 'Sledgehammer'.  But for me, the meat of the record starts with 'Mercy Street'.  There's something in the way Gabriel composes mood music.  They seemed to be packed with emotion.  The sounds of the instruments reflect the feelings these songs stir inside the heart of the listener.  'Mercy Street' feels like an emotional salvation falling like snow on a hopeless soul.  When he sings, "...in your daddy's arms" you feel that softening comfort flooding your body and making you long for a brief moment to let yourself be weak and be assured by your dad.  Just let yourself be hugged and for a split second, feel safe.  It's truly moving.  'Don't Give Up' is another tune that creates this incredible connection with the listener.  There appears to be two stories happening in this song.  Gabriel sings a song of despair and the desperate search for purpose.  When Bush comes in, she sings a song about encouragement and hope.  The two themes juxtapose each other to mirror a sense of hopelessness and hope at the same time.  This is one of the few songs I have deeply internalized in my life.  Even now, when I feel horribly alone, I can put this song on and find comfort.

'San Jacinto' starts off sounding like the tinkling of rain and moves into an emotive track that ends with Gabriel repeating the phrase, "Hold the line...".  It's followed by another beautifully written number called 'Here Comes The Flood'.  Delivered almost as a prayer, he uses the music to create a lull...  A calm before the storm.  There's whimsy, nostalgia and sadness pouring out of him.  In so many ways, I think Gabriel captures the soul of the American working class in tunes like this.  It seems like he's telling you to accept the inevitable and find a way to survive.  To move on afterward.  This trilogy of songs sees its fulfillment in 'Red Rain'.  A massive downpour of sound surrounds you when it explodes from your speakers.  'Red Rain' has a huge organic build that absolutely swamps you as it washes the room.  I love these three tracks together and I think they're absolutely brilliant.

Songs like 'Shock The Monkey' and 'Games Without Frontiers' are brilliant in their own right.  They're interesting and show Gabriel's ability to build songs using unconventional sounds.  The percussion work on these tracks is quite interesting and compelling.  'I Have The Touch' is simply ahead of its time.  I think it would've sounded much better if he'd recorded it later with a larger more fleshed out sound.  Still, I think it's one of those tunes you never forget.  It's too catchy.

'Big Time' is probably the first song by Gabriel I actually heard.  'Biko' is the one track I have a problem with.  It reminds me too heavily of Phil Collins' solo material and I'm not a huge fan of his sound.

This compilation certainly sparked my imagination and made me interested in Peter Gabriel.  I've since picked up additional material to check out more of his work.  I think he's a master of emotive music and has the ability to tap into some primal feelings.  This is one of the best compilation discs ever put together and if you don't have any of his albums, you should buy this.  My final words:  EXPRESSIVE, TOUCHING, BRILLIANT MASTERPIECE.

PETER GABRIEL - SHAKING THE TREE: SIXTEEN GOLDEN GREATS
01. Solsbury Hill
02. I Don't Remember
03. Sledgehammer
04. Family Snapshot
05. Mercy Street
06. Shaking The Tree
07. Don't Give Up
08. San Jacinto
09. Here Comes The Flood
10. Red Rain
11. Games Without Frontiers
12. Shock The Monkey
13. I Have The Touch
14. Big Time
15. Zaar
16. Biko

No comments:

Post a Comment