Friday, July 22, 2016

WENDY AND LISA - "DANGEROUS MINDS"

Wow, so today is an interesting and rather unique CD I'm going to write about...  This album isn't one you can purchase in stores and it's also not a promotional item as far as I know.

Way back in the 90's, Wendy And Lisa composed the score to the film, "Dangerous Minds".  I've already reviewed the movie soundtrack.  And I freely admit I bought it because of the Wendy And Lisa track.  I loved the new version of 'The Life' re-titled 'This Is The Life' and I had to have it.  If you watch the movie, you can hear a lot of the incidental music they wrote although my memory seems to play tricks on me.  Much of what I remember hearing were variations of the song 'This Is The Life' and I'm not entirely mistaken.

This disc is apparently some outtakes of themes they recorded for scenes in the movie.  Some of them are based on 'This Is The Life' but others aren't.  In fact, track 13, 'M26 - Master' actually sounds like the musical blueprint for 'Niagra Falls'; a song released many years later.

Track 17, 'M3 - Master With Electric Guitar' appeared on their website many years back as a streaming file showcasing some of the scoring they'd done for different projects.  I used to check the site every day hoping they'd upload new songs and outtakes.

This material is phenomenal.  It's relaxing and wonderful to just sit down and groove along with.  I wish everyone could hear this amazing bit of work.  I'm astonished.

As a long time follower of Lisa & Wendy, I've grown to love the complexity and otherworldly quality I imbibe from the music they compose.  It helps me hear more in the music I listen to from other artists.  Maybe it's the way they put all the little notes together.  It's so different.  Even Prince noticed a difference in his music when they left.  He lost a key ingredient to the sound he'd become famous for.  They added complication and dimension to his music in ways even he couldn't recreate.

They are unique.  And this incredible disc convinces me of this even more.  It's breathtaking and lovely.  I'd like to see them create a fan club and release material like this directly to their hardcore fans.  I know I'd pay to get discs of music like this each month.

My final words:  TOO UNIQUE AND INCREDIBLE TO DESCRIBE.  PURE JOY AND HAPPINESS TO OWN AND LISTEN TO THIS WORK.

WENDY AND LISA - "DANGEROUS MINDS"
01. M12 - Old Master
02. M13 - Master
03. M13 - Alt. (No Bass, Drums Or Guitar)
04. M10b - Master
05. M15 - Master
06. M12 - New Master
07. M17 - Master With Stereo Drums
08. M17 - Master With Mono Drums
09. M30 - Master
10. M31 - (Death) Master
11. M29 - Master
12. M29 - Alt. (No Drums)
13. M26 - Master
14. M28a - Master
15. M21 - Master (Piano Segment)
16. M22 - Master
17. M3 - Master With Electric Guitar
18. M3 - Master With No Ele. Guitar And More Acoustic
19. M24 - Master

No comments:

Post a Comment