Wednesday, July 6, 2016

DEPECHE MODE - JOHN THE REVELATOR

This is the second of a 2 disc set.  The first disc was the single itself and this is the import disc with the mixes on it.  Thanks to this blog I've learned how the single releases in the UK actually work.  They produce multiple singles because in order to be considered for the UK chart, a single can only be so long.  The first disc is usually the qualifying single for chart position while the second contains mixes and other misc. materials.

There are five mixes on this disc and anyone who knows me knows 'John The Revelator' was my favorite song from "Playing The Angel".  I loved it and I've always complained the song was too short.  It packs quite a wallop in the small amount of time it was given on the disc.  Although these versions clock in a lot longer, they're more about the mix and less about the original song.  Not that I don't like them.  Because I do and I'm happy to see longer versions.  I guess my point is, none of them seem to pack in the excitement and intensity of the original version.  And that's fine.  They were never meant to.  Rather, they were meant to transition the song to club and dance play where it could gain more exposure.

The second mix is the one that seems to embody the original rhythm the most.  Although it lives up to its name of being rather murky.  The third mix is all about adding guitar bits and making it sound almost like a 'Route 66' version of the song.  It's unique.  The fourth is a deep beat version while the 1st and final mix are roughly the same.  The fifth mix being a dub of the first.

It's nice to hear these different versions and in their own way, they're interesting.  Still, none of them capture the feeling I get when I listen to the album version.  I remember hearing that song in concert and absolutely loosing my head over it.  I was so excited I screamed like a little girl.  It was amazing!

"Playing The Angel" was a excellent record for me and probably the last disc by the band I really loved.  I'm glad I have all the singles from this album and I enjoy the entire project from start to finish.  This is a dynamic period of Depeche Mode history to collect.  My final words:  A GREAT MIX CD AND EXCELLENT COMPANION PIECE TO THE SINGLE.

DEPECHE MODE - JOHN THE REVELATOR
01. John The Revelator (Dave Is In The Disco Tiefschwarz Remix)
02. John The Revelator (Murk Mode Remix)
03. John The Revelator (Unkle Re Construction)
04. John The Revelator (Boosta Club Remix)
05. John The Revelator (Tiefschwartz Dub)

No comments:

Post a Comment