Tuesday, July 12, 2016

MARTIKA - MARTIKA'S KITCHEN

Martika released an album with the same title, but this is the single for the title track.  Containing 3 tracks, my reasons for buying this disc aren't exactly the most original.  I already had the CD and all of the music.  I had some extra money, the CD was cheap and quite honestly, I wanted to hear the mix on the second track.  I'm not sure the purchase was worth it, but I'm not entirely unhappy I own this little bit of history.

Prince worked with Martika on this record and in my opinion, he wrote some of his best songs of the time for this record.  The title track, 'Martika's Kitchen' is a great number musically.  The lyrics get a bit fluffy in a couple of places, but I suspect that's because this song existed already and the lyrics were changed to fit her name.  That's cool and I'm happy with it.  It's obviously from the "Graffiti Bridge" recording sessions and there were other tracks from that period that remain unreleased.


On the other hand, the second number, 'Love...Thy Will Be Done' is one of his best songs ever.  Martika gets a writing credit for the track.  My understanding is that she gave him a bunch of lyrics ideas she was working on and he produced this little masterpiece.  It's simply one of the most amazing songs ever written.  I love it.  I especially loved the music.  On this single, Prince contributes a mix of the song.  I much prefer the original.  The drum pattern on this mix kinda washes the undertone out.  The song seems to be missing depth.  It's still a magnificent number and well worth hearing.


The third track is the album version of a song Martika wrote called 'Broken Heart'.  It's a nice track.  I enjoy listening to it, but it doesn't possess the sound or quality of the Prince numbers.  It appears here almost as an afterthought.  And honestly, it's eclipsed by the stronger material.


Like all the other European and UK singles, this disc came in a slim case.  My final words:  A DECENT RELEASE THOUGH NOT NECESSARILY ONE YOU NEED.  WHETHER OR NOT THERE'S VALUE IS UP FOR DEBATE.

MARTIKA - MARTIKA'S KITCHEN

01. Martika's Kitchen (7" Edit)
02. Love...Thy Will Be Done (Prince Mix)
03. Broken Heart

No comments:

Post a Comment