Tuesday, July 5, 2016

GINUWINE- WHEN DOVES CRY

So it won't take a genius to figure out why I picked up this little single.  I wasn't really into Ginuwine or anything he was doing, but I wanted to hear his cover of this Prince classic so I picked up this import single at a used record store and let me tell you...  I wasn't impressed.

Ginuwine has an OK voice and for what he was doing at the time, he was fine.  He never did anything I was excited about so I mostly just ignored him on the radio.  But I picked up this disc without having heard the track before.  I assumed it would be a standard cover... it's anything but.  Back in those days, you couldn't sample tracks the way you can now.  If I'd heard it, I might not have bought it.  I think the music is weak all around.  It's a slow tempo version.  They've obviously tried to transform the song into a sexy ballad.  Instead, they turn it into a drudgery.  The song practically yawns at you.  There's none of the energy, the intensity of the original track.  It meanders on and eventually fades out.  It's absolute dulls-ville.  The disc features two other tracks.  I'm not sure if they're from an album or b-sides and to be honest with you, I don't really care.  Neither one of them are interesting in my opinion.

All around, I was extremely disappointed with this single.  I regret purchasing it.  Even more than that, I regret Ginuwine covered such an amazing Prince song and ruined it like he did.  My final words:  MONEY FLUSHED DOWN THE TOILET.  DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME.

GINUWINE - WHEN DOVES CRY
01. When Doves Cry
02. I'm Feelin' You
03. I'll Do Anything (I'm Sorry)

No comments:

Post a Comment