Wednesday, June 30, 2010

FONKY BALD HEADS - THE SELF TITLED ALBUM

It's been a few days since I've written a review. It's taken me that long to move past the new Chems CD long enough to pick up something else. But finally, I've been able to set it aside long enough to write about this little release.

The Fonky Bald Heads are a band formed by New Power Generation members Kirk Johnson, Kip Blackshire and Mike Scott. Rapper DVS is also a member though I'm not sure he's famous for anything else. He may have a local reputation. This disc never received national distribution. This is another record you had to buy directly from the group.

So the inclusion of NPG members isn't enough to make me pick up a cd. But Prince wrote a song on this record and it isn't available anywhere else. An edit of the track was released as part of the NPGMusic Club back when that was going, but it wasn't the complete song.

I originally bought this disc as a digital download and then found it on Amazon.com a year or so after. I picked it up and my impression then is the same as now. There are certain tracks on this disc I absolutely love. And then there are songs I don't care for either way. What does surprise me is the material I do like.

The first track is a segue into the album and sounds like something you'd hear from George Clinton. It's spacey, grandiose and not a little pretentious. It's followed by 'Soundasame'. For those people following Prince since the inception of the New Power Generation as a band, this concept isn't anything new. He used to go on and on about real musicians who played real music and didn't lip sync onstage during a concert. 'Soundasame' basically accuses all boybands and groups that don't actually play music live as being fake and they all sound the same. I don't agree with the statement and I find this number a little tedious. The next track is a power ballad of sorts. And this one I do like. 'Under The Same Clouds' has a lovely chorus and a spirited rap by DVS that accentuates the drama revealed in the lyric's story. 'Fonky Like A' is an awesome track! It's got the funk and the groove to really make you get up and shake. I've heard three versions of this number and I like them all.

The next track is one of my favorites. 'Passin Your Name' is another awesome ballad similar to 'Under The Same Clouds'. DVS raps the verse and then the chorus is sung by Kip Blackshire I believe. It's got a wonderful story, but the deal clencher is the chorus hook. I sing along at the top of my lungs. Now that's a good tune. The next track, 'Sex In My Bones' is one I'm not partial too. It's boring and like 'Soundasame' and 'If Ya'll Wanna Rock', it tries to blend elements of hard rock into the song to give it more power. Instead, it just sounds like overlayered instrumentation. None of those tracks appeal to me and they really leave me disappointed. I should mention... 'If Ya'll Wanna Rock' is a hidden track at the end of the disc. The title comes from the internet, so I'm not even sure what it really is. But I'm guessing it's correct.

'Rowdy Mac' is the Prince contribution and is pretty good. It doesn't stand out too strongly and also includes some harder sounds but for some reason, they actually work on this track. I doubt Prince had much to do with it other than contribute to it. It doesn't have a strong Prince feel, though does remind me somewhat of 'Mad Sex'.

So my overall opinion is mixed. I certainly really like the songs I like, but I'm indifferent to the ones I don't. So I'm leaning more toward the positive here. It's worth the purchase if you stick to the songs you really enjoy and let the rest float by.
My final word: FONKY.


FONKY BALD HEADS - THE SELF TITLED ALBUM
01. Introdukshun
02. Soundasame
03. Under The Same Clouds
04. Fonky Like A (Remix)
05. Passin Your Name
06. Sex In My Bones
07. Fonky Lyka (Live)
08.
Rowdy Mac
09. If Ya'll Wanna Rock

4 comments:

  1. http://www.amazon.com/Fonky-Bald-Heads/dp/B000QQZIZU/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1349043398&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=fonly+bald+heads

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't own the right to share this music. There are artists who have given me permission to share their work, but in this case, I don't have it. Sorry. No DL Link.

    ReplyDelete