Wednesday, June 2, 2010

ULTRAVOX - LAMENT

Ultravox was probably more popular in Europe than in the United States. I was really into the New Romantic scene or New Wave, and I was following everything coming out under that category. Of course, not everything was good and some stuff was better than others. In the case of Ultravox, my first exposure to them was through a guy at a record store recommending them to me. He told me the best thing about Ultravox was years from now after music styles had changed, their material would still be classic. I didn't think much about that comment. It came back to me as I listened to this disc and I realized how right he was.

Ultravox had a turbulent history. The band I actually like isn't the original group. Rather, my fascination with them begins after Midge Ure joined the band. He knew one of the members through collaboration on the Visage project and was a fan of the original Ultravox.
This chance meeting paved the way for the Ultravox I grew to love.

One of the things that really strikes you when
you listen to this record is the strength of the material you're hearing. Each and every one of these tracks could have been released as a single. Musically, they have aggressive, powerful builds and each one is uniquely different from the next. From the outset, 'White China' grabs you and pulls you in. I've always thought this song was about Hong Kong eventually returning to communist rule. But when it was written, that transition was still years away. I don't know how else to interpret it. Metaphorically, it's about losing individualism and free choice. 'One Small Day' on the other hand is about developing an appreciation for life and seeing yourself the way others do. A very inspirational tune. 'Dancing With Tears In My Eyes' has an almost apocalyptic feel to it. It seems suicidal to a certain degree. Of the songs thus far, this is the least interesting musically, but I do enjoy the authentic piano playing to the fore. It's always been an interesting staple for a new wave group to include acoustic instruments amongst the electronic.

'Lament' is a singular tune. When it first starts, you're reminded of that Phil Collins song, 'In The Air Tonight' except this was written first.
Once again, that luscious piano moves to the front to play the chorus melody. I feel a sense of longing and dissatisfaction when I hear this song. It makes me think of how disappointing a failed love can be. 'Man Of Two Worlds' actually sounds like a forerunner to something Rammstein would do. I can actually hear Rammstein covering this tune. There's definitely a sense of division here. The chorus plays in abrupt juxtaposition to the verses. 'Heart Of The Country' starts with an interesting drum pattern and progresses in a march of sorts. Appropriate for a song about being manipulated and deceived by political propaganda. 'When The Time Comes' is one of my favorite tracks. It's anticipating a broken heart. You remain in a situation even though you know it's bad for you. Because you know, "when the time comes (you'll) cry." What a brilliant take on love and loss. 'A Friend I Call Desire' has the bass section of a punk song. Vocally, there's a distance in Ure's delivery that creates a sense of separation. He distances himself from his feelings. Even though he innately understands they're a part of him.

Obviously, I really like this disc. I like Midge Ure and I like Ultravox. B
ut if you don't believe me, give this disc a fair shake and tell me what you think. Can you hear what I hear in these wonderful tunes? My final word: ENDURING.


ULTRAVOX - LAMENT
01. White China
02. One Small Day
03. Dancing With Tears In My Eyes
04. Lament
05. Man Of Two Worlds
06. Heart Of The Country
07. When The Time Comes
08. A Friend I Call Desire

2 comments:

  1. a nice review of a classic work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, I just noticed your comment. To be honest, I didn't really think anyone read this blog. Thank you so much for your comment!

    ReplyDelete