Tuesday, June 15, 2010

THE THE - 45 RPM THE SINGLES OF THE THE

The The is an 80's band built around Matt Johnson. My first exposure to this group was the album 'Soul Mining'. I thought it was seriously one of the greatest pieces of music I'd ever heard. It's on my list of CDs I can't live without. It's that darn good. The sheer poetry of the lyrics makes the disc worth owning.

On the strength of that disc, I became a devoted The The follower. I purchased subsequent CDs despite my lessening appreciation for the material Johnson was doing. And eventually, I lost interest altogether. Many years later I developed a renewed appreciation for some of the later albums as my music tastes had matured. This collection was interesting for a number of reasons. First and foremost is the different versions of various 'Soul Mining' tracks. It seems these versions are the original recordings. 'Uncertain Smile', 'Perfect' and 'This Is The Day' are very different from their album counterparts. There's different vocal arrangements and the instrumentation is different in some places. It's interesting to hear these alternate versions. They give you an idea how the music evolved over time.

There are some subtle differences between the original tracks from 'Infected' and 'Mind Bomb'. The differences are fairly small and hardly noticeable unless you're a die-hard fan. The remainder of the tracks are from albums I haven't heard yet. There are some truly classic numbers though. Like 'Armageddon Days (Are Here Again)'. I love this tune. It talks about how corrupt modern day religion is and how it's the instigator of violence rather than the healing hand of truth. I've always admired Johnson's ability to point out truths most people try desperately to overlook.

The rest of the tracks emerge as stuff I've come to identify as typical The The material. There's a folkish rock quality to the sound. It's not quite alternative, but more a fusion of folk with soulful rock n' roll. Although they can be interesting lyrically, more often than not, they take on an almost blurred sound to me. I don't hear a lot that encourages me to really invest in listening. However, there are some songs that really stand out. 'Love Is Stronger Than Death' being one of them. 'Pillar Box Red' is also interesting for its offbeat instrumentation and bizarre lyrics. It's almost like a drag anthem.

The second disc focuses mainly on music from 'Soul Mining', 'Infected' and 'Mind Bomb'. Of the two discs, it has the greatest value. The 12" versions of these singles are all interesting and refreshing to hear. It's like having your old vinyl singles collection transferred to cd. The 12" version of 'Infected' is much more appealing than the original. I quite love it. The 12" version of 'Armageddon Days' is also extremely exciting. It has a sinister undertone that enhances the confrontational nature of the lyrics. 'Gravitate To Me' is also one of The The's finer moments and it's interesting hearing this extended version of the tune.

Overall, I like the album for the refreshing takes of some classic material. But it doesn't offer much in value beyond that. Unless you're a dedicated fan or someone who really likes the songs the way I do, this collection isn't for you. Although you could consider it a greatest hits record, singles collection is a more appropriate title. I suggest discovering the albums before you get into something like this.
My final words: REFRESHING BUT NO VALUE.


THE THE - 45 RPM THE SINGLES OF THE THE
CD1
01. Uncertain Smile
02. Perfect
03. Sweet Bird Of Truth
04. Infected
05. Heartland
06. Armageddon Days (Are Here Again)
07. The Beat(en) Generation
08. Dogs Of Lust
09. Slow Emotion Replay
10. Love Is Stronger Than Death
11. This Is The Day
12. I Saw The Light
13. DecemberSunlight
14. Pillar Box Red
15. Deep Down Truth
CD2 - The 12" Mixes
01. Uncertain Smile
02. Perfect
03. Sweet Bird Of Truth
04. Infected
05. Armageddon Days
06. Violence Of Truth
07. Gravitate To Me
08. Dogs Of Lust

No comments:

Post a Comment