Thursday, June 10, 2010

BRAVE STORY - ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK

Although I don't know much about this film, I am totally familiar with the composer. Ben Watkins is the mastermind behind Juno Reactor. One of my favorite bands. I love them. So when I heard he was taking a stab at writing a film score I knew I had to have it.

Brave Story is a Japanese film and has seen release in western Europe and Asia. It hasn't come to the states yet. But there's always hope. I'm curious to see it after hearing this music.

Once again, Ben tantalizes the ears with his interesting take on a film score. My one complaint would be the myriad of styles and how all over the board this score sounds. It's not as cohesive as one would like. The themes don't carry over enough and it can sometimes seem over the top. I'm normally into that sort of composition... Anything different and unique sounding. But in this case, it almost feels cluttered. The sheer number of individual tracks is daunting.

There are times when Ben sounds like Danny Elfman. And times when you can hear Juno shining through. Then there are unexpected and delightful moments like 'Hare And Heather Part 1' when he does something completely different from anything I've previously heard. The little jig seems to have a timeless rhythm that catches you right in your toes and urges you to get up and boogie. There are also moments where if the film is half as emotional as the scoring, it will be extremely powerful.

I'm enchanted and yet in this particular case, I feel like I'm not seeing a whole picture. I really get the sense this music was written for scenes taking place in the movie and much of the material here doesn't stand alone. It really does require the accompanying media to give it full effect. There are some extremely stand out cuts. 'Mitsuru Theme' sounds like the Tim Burton "Batman" film. 'Bond Between Mother And Child' is a sweet piano melody and deserves to be developed further than just as a bit piece. It has beautiful potential. 'Kee Keema' has a frantic almost insane feeling. It makes me think of crazy circus clowns dancing and juggling on dangerous wires.

'Aerial Ballet' could almost pass for something from the "Nutcracker". 'Sound Of Approaching War' sounds like an drum acoustic version of something Juno Reactor would do. Even though it's very short. 'A Wish For Each Other' reminds me of old Hobbit films from back in the 70's. 'Cry Of The Heart' is a notable piano piece and is beautifully played. It also has an Anime feel to it. 'Sweet Whisper' is a cousin of the 'Labyrinth' track 'Conquistador I'. It is beautiful. I've always thought these pieces were quite haunting. The closing track, 'The Star Of County Down' almost fails as an ending. Yet it has a lovely quality as a stand alone piece and is very pretty.

So I do enjoy the music. I like what he's done. I feel it lacks cohesion, but I also think it's promising. I can't wait to hear more.
My final word: HEAVY.


BRAVE STORY - ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK
01. Mitsuru Theme
02. Main Door
03. Mitsuru Theme 2
04. Vision Door
05. Chamber Of Four Guardians
06. Bond Between Mother And Child
07. To School
08. Barbarone Incanation
09. Kee Keema
10. Hare And Heather Part 1
11. Hare And Heather Part 2
12. Aerial Ballet
13. Highlander
14. Break Out Of Prison
15. Demon Of Subterranean Lake
16. To The City Of Ice
17. True Intentions
18. Sound Of Approaching War
19. Highlander Battle
20. Juno Waltz
21. A Wish For Each Other
22. Fire Dragons
23. Solebria
24. Mitsuru's Recollection
25. Archibald McDonald Of Keppoch
26. Demons Versus Dragons
27. Cry Of The Heart
28. Because He Is A Friend
29. Sweet Whisper
30. Vision
31. The Star Of County Down

No comments:

Post a Comment